Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POW of 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers

Malte Znaniecki

• 2 months later...

Going through Malte's pictures and this was one of the few that didn't have any replies.... I guess it looked lonely ;) so I thought I'd add a few words.

Certainly someone must be interested in the S Wales Borders!! Andy

• 3 months later...
Going through Malte's pictures and this was one of the few that didn't have any replies.... I guess it looked lonely ;) so I thought I'd add a few words.

Certainly someone must be interested in the S Wales Borders!! Andy

HELLO,

I HAVE JUST JOINED THIS SITE SO PLEASE BEAR WITH ME, AS I FIND IT A BIT BEWILDERING.

MY NAME IS JOHN RICHARDSON. I SERVED IN THE ARMY FROM 1954 TILL 1993.

I BELIEVE THAT MY GRANDFATHERS BROTHER, FRANCIS EARNEST RICHARDSON WAS A POW IN MACEDONIS, AND THAT HE MAY WELL HAVE BEEN A MEMBER OF A SOUTH WALES BORDERER BATALLION!

IS THERE ANY WAY THAT I CAN CONFIRM THIS?

KIND REGARDS

JOHN

John:

Welcome to the Forum. I was searching the MIC (Medal Index Card) index online for myself anyway and decided to see if I could find your Francis Earnest Richardson in the SWB. I found this fellow, 17706 Francis E. Richardson, 6th SWB, who may be your relative, if he served in the SWB. His MIC index card is below. There were 2 other Francis E. Richardsons, one was 1863 Francis E.M. Richardson, South Staffs Regt and the other was 48282 Francis E. Richardson, Labour Corps.

There were also numerous Francis (no middle initial) Richardsons, I didn't see any in the SWB, however. To search yourself, see this link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...y=*&queryType=1

As you can see, according to the MIC card below, Francis E. Richardson of the SWB was in the 6th Bn. looking on the battalion histories on the Long, long Trail Site (accessible from your Forum mainpage upper left corner) it doesn't appear to indicatye that the 6th Bn was in Macedonia. Anyway, I'm sure one of these other Pals with more expertise can shed some more light on ther meaning of the MIC card notations, etc.

You may wish to post a inquiry thread specific to your man in the "Soldiers" section of the Forum--a lot of helpful people hang out there.

Regards,

Chris

post-1571-1138247921.jpg

John:

Welcome to the Forum. I was searching the MIC (Medal Index Card) index online for myself anyway and decided to see if I could find your Francis Earnest Richardson in the SWB. I found this fellow, 17706 Francis E. Richardson, 6th SWB, who may be your relative, if he served in the SWB. His MIC index card is below. There were 2 other Francis E. Richardsons, one was 1863 Francis E.M. Richardson, South Staffs Regt and the other was 48282 Francis E. Richardson, Labour Corps.

There were also numerous Francis (no middle initial) Richardsons, I didn't see any in the SWB, however. To search yourself, see this link:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...y=*&queryType=1

As you can see, according to the MIC card below, Francis E. Richardson of the SWB was in the 6th Bn. looking on the battalion histories on the Long, long Trail Site (accessible from your Forum mainpage upper left corner) it doesn't appear to indicatye that the 6th Bn was in Macedonia. Anyway, I'm sure one of these other Pals with more expertise can shed some more light on ther meaning of the MIC card notations, etc.

You may wish to post a inquiry thread specific to your man in the "Soldiers" section of the Forum--a lot of helpful people hang out there.

Regards,

Chris

HELL CHRIS,

I AM OBLIGED TO YOU FOR YOUR REPLY AND USEFUL INFORMATION.

I NOW DOUBT HIS UNIT AND THINK! THAT HE MAY HAVE JOINED UP WITH HIS BROTHER IN EITHER THE WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT, OR A SERVICE BATTALION. I HAVE ALSO JOINED THE *SALONICA* CLUB. THEY WILL HAVE SOME NEWSLETTERS COVERING THAT CAMPAIGN THAT SHOULD ASSIST.

THANKS AGAIN

JOHN