Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What do the remarks mean?

WendyE

I have been to the long long trail and still cannot understand the meaning of the remarks on my gr grandfather's medal index card. Could someone please help. He has 6 cards in total I am having trouble with. This on is the 5th card, which is giving me the most problems understanding.

Thank you,

WendyE

post-7754-1124493941.jpg

Wendy,

Your Great Grandfather will only have one Medal Index Card. The other five will relate to other George Boyles. The remarks on this card seem to relate to the 1914-15 Star being returned for an admendment to the naming.

Regards

Gavin

Hello

not strictly correct - I have a chap with 3 medal index cards to him..

Does he win a prize :P

Ian

Wendy,

Your Great Grandfather will only have one Medal Index Card. The other five will relate to other George Boyles. The remarks on this card seem to relate to the 1914-15 Star being returned for an admendment to the naming.

Regards

Gavin

It also states he Disembarked ['Disemb*' on the card,February 24th 1915],He may have had more than one MiC[Albiet of a different type],especially if he had earned a TFEM,been MiD; or awarded one or more Gallantry Medals,or a card was made up for his 1914~15 Star & his other Medals,seperately as often happened,especially if Regiments had changed or there was a Spelling error with his surname.

*Also usually means Disembodied ie Discharged in Territorial parlance ,but not I suspect in this case as it corresponds to date of entry into Theatre of War"

The date of disembarkation for 4th Battalion landing at Le Havre was 26th February 1915 according to E A James' British Regiments 1914-1918. The date they were ordered overseas was 24th February 1915 according to Linton Andrew's book Haunting Years. A short time later the novices were in the hell of Neuve Chapelle.

Aye

Malcolm

So then let me ask you this- How am I susposed to tell WHICH card is his? Should I post the other five so you could tell me?

Thank you WendyE

So then let me ask you this- How am I susposed to tell WHICH card is his? Should I post the other five so you could tell me?

Thank you WendyE

Wendy,

You need to know something about him to identify which card is his. At least his regiment/unit, but ideally his service number which might be on any of a number of documents or on his medals.

If you post here what you know about him someone will be able to guide you.

The reason you have six cards is because they were filmed alphabetically, in sheets of six. You got the one you ordered and the other five on the same sheet.

Regards,

Ken

Thank you Malcolm for helping me. Out of the 6 cards Malcolm helped me find my gr grandfathers. It was only card #5 out of the 6. Thank you for all helping. But I still don't really understand the remarks :unsure: Maybe you did already but I am just not getting it.

WendyE

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me exactly what medals my great grandpa recieved by looking at his card? I was just talking to my great Uncle and he said he wishes that he had his father's medals so he could wear them. Is there somewhere that I could order them from, I would like to give them as his christmas present.

Thank you

WendyE

Wendy

The issue of WW1 medals ceased some time ago. However, you may wish to contact the Army Medals Office. Just type the name into your search engine for details.

Terry Reeves