The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10th Bn.The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Chris_B

I'm interested in the fate of this man, any information much appreciated:

MYLES, ALFRED THOMAS CHARLES

Initials: A T C

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

Unit Text: 10th Bn.

Date of Death: 02/07/1918

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 27 to 30.

Cemetery: LOOS MEMORIAL

Thanks,

Chris.

volume 3 "the history of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment" by Everard Wyrall; p.661

"On the 1st of July, second Lieut. A.T.C. Myles took out a patrol from the Le Plantin sector and encountered a strong hostile party; an exchange of rifle-fire took place and, on the patrol returning second- Lieut. Myles was found to be missing; He was subsequently reported killed."

Chris

Take a look at the Liverpool Scottish website.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Thanks, I was looking at thier website yesterday. Very interesting but I found nothing about service battalions. I sent them an email and wait and hope...

Regards,

Chris.

volume 3 "the history of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment" by Everard Wyrall; p.661

"On the 1st of July, second Lieut. A.T.C. Myles took out a patrol from the Le Plantin sector and encountered  a strong hostile party; an exchange of rifle-fire took place and, on the patrol returning second- Lieut. Myles was found to be missing; He was subsequently reported killed."

Brilliant, thanks for that quote. I must find Le Pantin, the fact that he was missing ties in with him having no known grave.

Chris.

Simon,

Thanks, I was looking at thier website yesterday. Very interesting but I found nothing about service battalions. I sent them an email and wait and hope...

Regards,

Chris.

Chris

The 10th Bn The King's Liverpool Regiment was the Liverpool Scottish, a Territorial Battalion.

Regards

Simon

Chris

The 10th Bn The King's Liverpool Regiment was the Liverpool Scottish, a Territorial Battalion.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Your quite right, getting my wires crossed, I've been looking at too many different battalions.

Mother site has only 1st/10th with "Known as Liverpool Scottish" , but not 2nd/10th. Anyway they were both in 55th Division by April 1918, the same as my Grandad, and 2/10 absorbed into 1/10.

Regards,

Chris.

Chris,

You mention that the Liverpool Scottish website mentions the 1/10th Battalion but not the 2/10th Battalion, do you know if 2nd Lieutenant Myles was with the 2/10th it may say on his medals if you have them.

My Grandfather was a 2/10th Liverpool Scottish soldier in WW1 so I'd be interested to know if you find out if he was a member of the same battalion.

Blueblood :)

Surname MYLES

Firstname Alfred Thomas Charles

Service number

Date of death 02/07/1918

Decoration

Place of birth

Other

SNWM roll LIVERPOOL SCOTTISH

Rank 2/Lt

Theatre of death Unknown

Aye

Malcolm

Chris,

You mention that the Liverpool Scottish website mentions the 1/10th Battalion but not the 2/10th Battalion, do you know if 2nd Lieutenant Myles was with the 2/10th it may say on his medals if you have them.

My Grandfather was a 2/10th Liverpool Scottish soldier in WW1 so I'd be interested to know if you find out if he was a member of the same battalion.

Blueblood  :)

It was the mother site (http://www.1914-1918.net/kings.htm) were I got my info about 1/10 and 2/10 NOt the Liverpool Scottish website, which as far as I coud tell had no info about territiorial battalions on-line.

If I ever get any answer to my query from the Museum I'll post it here.

It's a stange coincidence but when checking where "Le Plantin" was, the fourth hit listed by Google, took me here:

http://www.aftermathww1.com/dickinsons.asp

The story of the three Dickinson brothers, all in the Liverpool Scottish, two killed in action, and one to suffer from wounds unitl his death in 1932.

Chris.

Chris,

Thanks for that. Is 2nd Lieut Myles a relative?

If so do you have any medals or photos. If you post a photo on to the forum I'll see if he is on any of my Grandfather's photos.

Blueblood

Chris,

Thanks for that. Is 2nd Lieut Myles a relative?

If so do you have any medals or photos. If you post a photo on to the forum I'll see if he is on any of my Grandfather's photos.

Blueblood

Blueblood,

MYLES A.T.C is just an anonymous name on a memorial. No photos, no medals. But that doesn't mean he couldn't be in one of your Grandfather's photos, but I'd guess we'd never know.

Chris.