Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Penawr / Benawr Park camp

Chris_Baker

Can anyone please identify the location of Penawr / Benawr Park Camp? It was in use in May 1918. 57903 Pte Albert Dafter was there at the time. He was sent to France in June 1918 and served with the 9th Welsh R. He may have been in the Pembroke Yeomanry or Welsh R in early 1918.

I know this sounds unlikely, but there is a possibility it was in East Anglia!!

This is from the dark recesses of my mind - so is probably totally wrong - but I'm sure I've come across the name Penawr somewhere near Swansea. Bernard Lewis may be able to discredit that theory pretty quickly!

Probably no help whatsoever (as I don't know the answer!), but I doubt that Penawr Camp would be near a place named "Penawr" (if one such place exists?).

Penawr was a Knight of the Round Table in Welsh Arthurian legend (or was he actually Arthur himself? - he was the "leader of the host"). Chances are the camp was named after this mythical(?) Welsh hero and could, therefore , be a camp outside Wales that perhaps held Welsh troops at some time or other. As you say, Chris, there is every possibility that it was in E.Anglia!

Dave.

Chris

At near by Llanion there was a tented camp during the Crimean war, also during WW1 there was a camp at Pennar Point now the site of the Memorial Park and Bush Estate

Hwyl

Kevin

Sorry lads but no info on this one!

Bernard

Not much use but a similar spelling - PENMAWR - means big top. Can't find a Penmawr or a Penawr on the map of Wales..

Bernard