Remembered Today:

Andorra Star

Guest keep fit.

Guest keep fit.

:unsure:

I know this is not a WW2 site.

But this is the best site for asking questions and getting prompt and good

replies.

Anyway does anyone have any info on SHIP called the ANDORRA STAR which was torpedoed and sunk by the Germans (i think?) I think it may have been on route to canada.

The ship was carrying Itailians and other nationalites who thrown out of England during WW2.

There were survivers.

Thank you

Susan xxx.

The Andorra Star was sunk on 02.07.40 en route to Newfoundland with many internees on board.

She does not appear in the list of British vessels sunk and so was probably flying a foreign flag at the time.

She was an ex-luxury liner.

Having posted the above after finding a few references to the Andorra Star being sunk on 02.07.40 on non-UK web sites but no references in standard reference books, I dug a little deeper.

I believe the ship's name was actually ARANDORA STAR and this is listed in the reference works.

A Blue Star liner converted to a troopship - 15501 gross tons - launched 1927. She was torpedoed and sunk on 02.07.40 by U-47 75 miles off Bloody Foreland, Donegal, Ireland with 1178 German/Italian POWs and internees aboard.

Blue Star records show 805 people died including 243 Germans and 470 Italians although other sources give slightly different figures

• 5 months later...
A Blue Star liner converted to a troopship - 15501 gross tons - launched 1927. She was torpedoed and sunk on 02.07.40 by U-47 75 miles off Bloody Foreland, Donegal, Ireland with 1178 German/Italian POWs and internees aboard.

Blue Star records show 805 people died including 243 Germans and 470 Italians although other sources give slightly different figures

There is now a campaign which will attempt to have something done about this injustice.

Many of the dead are believed to have been British subjects, but none are named on the civilian list administered by the CWGC. As far as these records go they are "non persons".

For details see: http://www.arandorastarcampaign.com/