Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Aunts service record

Rob B

I am tracking my Great Aunts service Sister in Charge Miss W.M Gedye QAIMNS through the 1st war and have only got snippets but hopefully as a recipient of an MBE. ARRC and a mention in dispatches some one out there might be able to shed some light.

I was told she served in Gallipoli as a Sister before moving on to France with the Australians she was at No 3 Casualty Station and was awarded her MID there its award was dated 7 April 1918. Can any one help and point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Rob

Rob

There is a medal index card for Winifred Mary Gedye QAIMNS which shows her rank as Staff Nurse and Assistant Matron respectively. There is also a file for at the National Archive: WO399/3047 which covers the period 1 Jan 1914 - 3 December 1920.

Terry Reeves

Rob

Her file will have the details of her wartime service, but I do have a bit of pre-war information about her - you might know most of it already.

Winifred Mary Gedye

Born 20 December 1876 and birth registered in Clifton.

Father a 'wholesale import provision merchant.'

Educated privately, and then at Birmingham School of Art

Trained at Birmingham General Hospital from October 1904 to October 1907

Qualified as a midwife at Bristol Royal Infirmary in April 1908.

Appointed a staff nurse in QAIMNS 1/1/1909 and first posting to Royal Victoria Hospital, Netley.

Still a Staff Nurse in June 1914, and working in Dublin

Awarded the RRC 2nd Class in New Year honours 1917 - at that time Acting Sister.

Regards

Sue

Gosh-That was fast thank you both so much. The refference to Bristol ties it down very nicely as her father was a shipper.

Cheers,

Rob

Terry,

Thanks for coming back on the file details at the National Archive, can you point me as to how to get these details are they on line or do I have to go somewhere to see them?

Thanks,

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

A very big public thank you to Sue who did all the hard work at the National Archives, I now know what a brave and sacrificial lady my Great Aunt was. She was one of the earliest nurses to go to France in 1914 with the BEF and remained working with a number of Casualty Clearing Stations within artillery fire of the front till the end of hostilities returning to Great Britain in 1920, and then went on to serve till the 1930's before being medically discarged.

Thank you again I will treasure the details you found.

Cheers,

Rob