Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

Joe Walsh

I've asked loads of questions about my grandfather RE career. No ones been able to answer them. The RE museum don't reply to my emails.

Are there any RE experts here?

Joe

Joe,

What are your questions?

The RE is a major Corps and many thousands of men served with the various units. It is notoriously difficult to research members of the RE with many leads reaching a dead end. I am still trying to establish which unit my grandfather served with, even though I have his service record. He was with the RE IWT and that's all I know. There are some details in his service record but nothing to lead me to his unit. As with you, the RE Museum were unable to assist.

Anyway, all is not lost. Post his details here and I am sure we can help you.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON

• 2 months later...

I to am trying to establish my Grandfathers Units within the RE.All I have is his Name, Rank, and Number and the fact that he had a Medal Index Card tried to access that, but could not as my card is HSBC Credit Card. Any ideas how I can proceed from here?.

Al,

We'll give it a go.

What was his name, rank and number?

Steve.

Here we go:-

Herbert Gunniss Corporal Royal Engineers 186964 served 1914 - 1920. This is all the Information that I posses. So any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Being a later number (1916 onwards) I would think that the Medal Card would just have entitlement to BWM & VM, not a 1914 or 1915 Star.

Unfortunately, I don't have much in the way of numbers that match to units around that point. I couldn't really hazard a guess on a unit. Sorry.

One would hope that with a name as uncommon as that, his service records might be fairly easy to find, if they still survive.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Steve.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all.

I found a really good RE site, a guy displaying medals , he has done a lot of research into it. Send him an email, it really paid off for me. Site is www.members.aol.com/reubique Ithink. Let me know if it doesn't work and I'll double check.

Joe