Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photograph request

Teejay

would anyone out there have a photograph of the 95th rifle brigade 2nd battalion, as my great uncle William Alfred Foster had enlisted with them at the beginning of the war, the enlisting took place in Stratford, East London. Sadly he was killed in action near Albert, France. on 26/06/16 aged 23, he is buried in Aveluy communal extension cemetery.

thankyou Teejay.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Teejay,

I don’t have a photograph of the 2nd Battalion (something in the region of a thousand men would have been difficult to photograph; they would probably have first split them into Companies. Do you know your great-uncle’s Company?) My great-uncle (Rfn. Charles Durrant) was also a 2/RB man and was killed on 9th May 1915 at Aubers Ridge. I am currently researching the men of the 2/RB and will be up at Kew on Saturday. Let me know if you would like me to have a look for your great-uncle’s service record whilst I am there. I can also supply you with details of the Battalion’s actions around the time that he was killed, if you are interested.

Is there, by any chance, a photo of your great-uncle floating around? I’d love a copy to add to my research and any additional details you might be able to supply.

V.

• 2 weeks later...

dear victoria, sorry i havent replied but im not at all pc literate and i have to wait for my children to help me, i dont know what company my g. uncle was in, I only know that he enlisted in stratford east london at the beginning of the war, he was a lance corporal, his service no. was 6/258 and that he died just a few days before the battle of the somme, im sorry i dont have any photos of him, i only wish i did. Please let me know how you get on with your research, i would be very interested to read it. Good luck

regards teejay.

• 1 month later...

Hi Teejay,

Sorry to have taken so long to reply. I will be up at Kew tomorrow and will have a look for your great-uncle's service record and any information relating to medal entitlements. I'll also forward to you any relevant details from the War Diary for around the time of his death.

V.

Teejay,

Have you got a photo of his grave & the cemetery? If you haven't let me know & I'll get it for you week after next,

Bob

Hi Teejay,

Have sent you a seperate PM.

V.