The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aboukir Hogue Cressy

toofatfortakeoff

A Barton Upon Humber mystery unfolds.

Fred William SPEAREY

Thomas Henry BATE

JOHN WILLIAM CAUSE

were all Barton Coastguards. When the war broke out they joined the Aboukir Hogue and Cressy. All three were sunk on the separate ships Thomas and Fred being fatalities. The mystery man is John. He was said to have died, but not being from Barton he is not on the war memorial, though he is regarded as being a Bartonian. HE IS NOT CWGC LISTED>

This might not be the correct spelling of his name, and the original info came from a Barton elder who thought wrongly that they were sunk at Jutland.

Did he survive-did he go down-where can I get the casualty list ANY help on any of the three would be excellent. I have the first two mens CWGC listing. Thanks in anticipation. Seanio

Fred William SPEAREY

Possibly Fred Spearey, birth registered in Q1/1893 in Reading. Son of James and Annie Spearey. I'm unable to locate any body else with this name in any of the census records.

Thomas Henry BATE

The 1901 census shows a man of this name, aged 31, in the Royal Navy on board HMS Severn in Sheerness. He was a native of Wigston in Leicestershire. Possibly your man?

JOHN WILLIAM CAUSE

Nearest match is a John Castle, who died on the Cressy. Unable to locate a "JW Cause" anywhere.

Cheers Shipmate I know the top two are the ones and I think Castle might be our last man as our local historians spelling was awful. Thanks a lot Sean

JOHN WILLIAM CAUSE

Nearest match is a John Castle, who died on the Cressy.

Sean, his attestation paper at Kew might give some further clues as to whetrher this is your nan - regarding age, occupation and date of birth. You can trace this from his service number that should be shown in the CWGC.

Sean,

Any articles in the local newspaper of the time? He might be listed in the casualties.

I had a stoker on my local memorial who went down with the Aboukir - the local papers carried a big article on the sinking.

Ian

Hi Ian so far I have searched the Lincolnshire Star but I have to get back to 1914 anyway-I gat the feeling I may have missed something the first time.

Thanks a lot for your help everyone I will check it all out,.....