Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battleground Europe WWI Series

ArmyOfficer

Over the last six months I've been reading Battleground Europe guides; my way of vicarious tourism. Some purely amateur reviews of some I've read:

Mametz Wood (Micheal Renshaw): Probably my favorite - one of the first Great War books I ever read was "Memoirs of an Infantry Officer" and the area around Contalmaison and Mametz Wood is my favorite visit on the Somme. A very detailed book in part because it focuses almost purely on the 38th Division's attack from 6-11 July. Provides a great overview of the fight and has well drawn, clear sketch maps. It also has some of the best walks of any volume in the series; the walks are very comprehensive and very detailed and easy to follow.

Combles (Paul Reed): I've only walked Combles area once, and it doesn't really interest me like other areas but I would recommend this book for two reasons. First, it is a superb volume for anyone interested in the London Regiment - the introductory of the various battalions is great. Next, its extremely well footnoted - better than any other I've read. The footnotes are very valuable for determining where to go for other information. My only complaint would be the walks - only two in the book although those two are well put together and detailed.

La Boisselle / Ovilliers / Contalmaison (Micheal Stedman): I think this one tries to cover too much ground. Trying to review both 8th and 34th Divisions' attacks in one, small volume means that neither could get all the detail that perhaps they deserve. However, as a guide to the area its well put together. Six good walks too.

Gommecourt (Nigel Cave): I was disappointed but only becuase I wanted more on the London Rifle Brigade. Also, I wish there were more footnotes. There are two short walks. I spent a day walking around Gommecourt/Foncquevillers last year and remember it to be a hard place to walk around - much is fenced as i remember. There is a great car tour of the rear areas; I love driving and walking around these old rear areas and the only other such tour I know of is in the Serre book (if I remember right).

Sanctuary Wood and Hooge (Nigel Cave): I very much enjoyed this one in spite of no footnotes. The maps are clear sketch maps but I'd have liked to see more extracts from the OR maps; still, well drawn and you're able to get your bearings from them. As well, while it doesn't have a separate "walks" section, it has walks or vignettes embedded throughout the text. Its almost like "Salient Points" or "A walk round Plugstreet" in that regard.

So, just for what its worth.

I wonder if Pen and Sword would buy if I wrote on the Kabul to Kandahar march ?

Thanks for those kind comments on my Combles book; I am glad you appreciated the footnotes as it was a real fight to keep them in (as with all my other books in this series). Sadly as an author you are restricted with what you can put into these BE books, space wise, which is why there were not more walks, and indeed much mention of the French and German side of operations.

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly as an author you are restricted with what you can put into these BE books, space wise, which is why there were not more walks, and indeed much mention of the French and German side of operations.

Paul: Thank you for winning the fight on the footnotes! It really helps. I've just ordered our "Courcelotte" and look forward to more vicarious walking! Hopefully I'll get a chance to do more of the real thing one of these days...