Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. Jessup 8th Rifle Brigade KIA

Chris_B

Notice of his DCM appeared in the London Gazette on 14 November 1916.

“S/6207 Pte. A. Jessup, Rif. Brig.

For conspicuous gallantry in action, when,

although wounded, and being the only one

of his gun team left, he carried his gun up

to the objective, and then brought up the

magazines and laid the gun for action. He

was ordered by his C.O. to go to a dressing

station, but was found several hours later

still at his post.”

Pte. s/6207 8th (7th?) Rifle Brigade Arthur Jessup was KIA on 1/10/1917.

I'd be very greaful if someone with accces to to Walker's DCM register could check for an entry, particularly the date.

Thanks,

Chris.

Jessups DCM entry in Walker is as LG ie 14.11.1916[Walker only collated the LG Citation date entries for the Book],in effect that is the date he was officially awarded the Medal,though he may well have received the Medal/{More likely the Ribbon in the field} itself before that date,there were not always two Gazette dates for DCMs,often the sole entry was that of the Citation,there being no previous promulgation of the award,in a list.

I'm not sure what date you are seeking?

If for an action,that he was recommended for the DCM,The LG date would suggest a date around the July/October of 1916,Your best bet is a search of the War diary of the battalion @ that time,in case he is mentoned{Or if you know where he hailed from the local paper of the time is more often than not productive,as they published lists of Local lads 'done good' @ the front when Awards were made},LGs do not often {unfortunately~though sometimes it does} give dates or places of the actions for which the DCM was awarded,just a description of the act.

Sorry, Harry.

Stilletto has already cleared this one up in the War Diaries section.

7th Rifle Brigade.

Wounded 15-9-1916 at Flers-Courcelette.

DCM very probably won on that day as this ties in with him being wounded per the citation.

Thanks for taking the time,

Steve.

BTW, Recently came across a newspaper clipping about Harry Bett's DCM being presented to his mother in an April (I think) 1919 Peterborough Citizen. I assume you've seen that already?

7th Rifle Brigade.

Wounded 15-9-1916 at Fler-Courcelette.

DCM very probably won on that day.

BTW, Recently came across a newspaper clipping about Harry Bett's DCM being presented to his mother in an April (I think) 1919 Peterborough Citizen. 

Cheers Stebie,That was a good guesstimate then!,Yes thank you;I have seen HB article previously in local papers.[every body tried to claim him!] ;)

Gentlemen,

Thanks for claering that up, and thanks to Harry for adding to my eduaction about DCM awards. I'll try local newpapers ...

Chris.