Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th East Surreys where circa 08/08/1917?

Chris_B

Any information about the position and activity of 9/Est Surreys on and around 08/08/1917 would be appreciated.

Chris,

It was not until I came home (at noon) from ... the Documentation Centre in Ypres that I read your email asking for info on 9/East Surreys. The Doc. Centre where (among other things) I had had a look in the Regimental History of the ... East Surrey Regiment ! (With regard to the man of 1/East Surreys, buried at Wambeek Churchyard, whom you are also interested in as I know. I will contact you off Forum. However : no result.)

But if other Forum members know the answer to your 9/East Surreys question : don't hestitate. For I won't be back in the Doc. Centre until a week from now.

Aurel

Chris,

It was not until I came home (at noon) from ... the Documentation Centre in Ypres that I read your email asking for info on 9/East  Surreys. The Doc. Centre where (among other things) I had had a look in the Regimental History of the ... East Surrey Regiment ! (With regard to the man of 1/East Surreys, buried at Wambeek Churchyard, whom you are also interested in as I know. I will contact you off Forum. However : no result.)

But if other Forum members know the answer to your 9/East Surreys question : don't hestitate. For I won't be back in the Doc. Centre until a week from now.

Aurel

Aurel,

You mean I've got to wait a whole week :D

Chris

Chris

It's your lucky night, I have the regimental history and it seems they moved into the line relieving the 8th Queens at Verbranden-Molen on the evening of the 2nd of August. Communication trenches were waist deep in water following three days of heavy rain. They remained in the front line until the 7th of August being attacked by the Germans on the 5th during which their commanding officer Lt Col de la Fontaine was killed by a sniper.

They were relieved at 11pm on the 7th by the 3rd Battalion of the Rifle Brigade and moved back to Divisional reserve at "Mic Mac" Camp arriving there at 4am on the 8th and remaining there until the 11th.

I have a list of officer casualties other ranks 35 killed and 108 wounded

If you want any more detail let me know

Hambo

Hambo,

Thanks again for your help, thats just the info I was hoping for.

Chris.