Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Machine Gun Corps Reassignment after wounding

Retrac

John Edwin Carter 73 Coy MGC 6615 DCM Guillemont August 1916 (War Diary September and London Gazette October 1916).

With help from MGCOCA and others I have got a fairly good chronology of my grandfather's exploits from joining the Royal Fusiliers in August 1914, spending time in the Dardanelles from June 1915 until wounded in late July 1915 and joining the MGC probably in early January 1916.

My problem is that I have lost track of his movements after he was wounded in the action when he gained his DCM. I have tried the 'burnt records' but his was evidently part of the collection that was destroyed. His MIC states that he achieved the rank of CSM but is no further help about units. I have read the 73 Coy and 29 Div MGC Diaries in Kew but beyond mentions during the time I know he was there, silence.

Is there any way of finding out whether, and where, he was transferred? Based on the fact that my father was born in December 1917 I am making the assumption that he was somewhere near Nottingham during March 1917. There is a family story that he was in India and brought some amber beads home in anticipation that the new baby would be a girl! My experience of such family stories leads me to treat this one with some scepticism. I'll write to MGCOCA but any other help gratefully received.