Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 soldiers in machine gun corps

Guest dgf

Hi, Can anyone help with information about the following in the MGC.

FURMSTON, Richard W, Private, 91056

FURMSTON, John, Corporal 2nd, 52991

FURMSTON, George H, Private, 125331

I Know George H is listed as DIED 19 July 1918. I also believe he was a POW when he died and was conscripted in 1917. As to George being a POW, my father remembers his mother having a newspaper cutting of a request that she had placed in one of the Manchester evening papers in the 1920's asking for Information about him, all we knew was he was last seen being taken prisoner. We don't even know when, but suspect it to be early 1918. He was in the 21st Bn MGC.

I know that the other 2 survived the war but nothing else about them.

Any info would be appreciated.

David.

CWGC shows

Name: FURMSTON, GEORGE HENRY

Initials: G H

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)

Unit Text: 21st Bn.

Date of Death: 19/07/1918

Service No: 125331

Additional information: Husband of the late Ethel Furmston.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IX. C. 10.

Cemetery: TINCOURT NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

As George was 38 at the time of his death, and therefore born about 1880, I assume that he is the same George Furmston as recorded on the 1901 census as living in Broughton, Lancashire. At that time, he is aged 21 and lives at 62 Sussex Street with his widowed mother Ellen (59), sisters Ada (27) and Helens (22) and brother John (16). Is this the same John as you mention in your post?

Going back to 1891, the family lived at the same address. Ellen was widowed even then. In addition to the children above, Ellen also had a son Tom (23) and daughter Annie (18). Back further to 1881, Ellen’s husband, and the children’s father, George, is still alive, aged 41.

There is a birth entry for Richard William Furmston in Q3/1891 in Chorley, Lancs., but I haven’t found anything else about him yet.

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the info on George H . The one in the 1901 census is the wrong one. He was listed as Furmstone on that census. In fact !881 ,1891 & 1901 all have different spellings.

The Richard W i'm looking for was born in Gorton. But i'm not sure that the John & Richard i've asked about are brothers of George yet. Still trying on that part.

Daivd.

David

Sorry, I was wrong when I said "Chorley", I should have written "Chorlton". The latter registration district includes Gorton, so it's probably yer man.

The only Gerge Furmstone I found on the 1901 was born in 1863 and lived in Yorkshire. Are we looking at the same man?

Stephen,

Sorry my George Furmstone was born 1880 in Gorton. (Gordon on my 1901 download!)

If the John & Richard i'm looking for are correct they were born in 1882 (John) & 1891 (Richard W) in Gorton.

David

David

Looks like the surname was mis-transcribed as "Furmstow" for the index to the 1901 census.

Here's the family living at 1 Johnson Street, Gorton in 1901. Note that the family includes Richard W., John B, and George H.

post-1356-1124290179.gif

Are you interested in 2nd Lt. Clement Barrington Furmston, 154th MGC, killed in action 9th April 1917? I know a bit about him as he's one of my Tibshelf lads.

From SDGW

Glyn

post-5500-1124302098.jpg

Thanks Stephen, Andrew & Glyn.

Thats the correct 1901 entry. George is my Grt Grandfather and the only one i have any info on.

Clement Barrington Furmston as far as i know at the moment is not a dirrect relative altthough i would be interested in what info you pass on to me just in case.

SDGW confirms what i know about George. I can't seem to find any info on him being taken prisoner and his subsequent death.

The ones who survivied the war seem harder to track.

Thanks David.

Clement Barrington Furmston. 2nd Lt, 154th MGC, 51st (Highland) Division. Killed in action 9 April 1917, at Arras (First Battle of the Scarpe), buried Roclincourt Military Cemetery, Pas de Calais, France. Formerly 21st Royal Fusiliers PS/2691 Private and Oxfordshire Yeomanry (Queen's Own Oxford Hussars).

Born Mansfield district, Nottinghamshire, 21 May 1894.

Memorial inscription Blackwell Cemetery (Derbyshire). Also recorded on the Alfretn, Derbyshire, war memorial. Son of Samuel Barrington, former Vicar of Blackwell, near Tibshelf, for 11 years (died Jan 1916) and Susan E. Furmston. Native of Mansfield. Sister, Olive, married Luke Sampson of Tibshelf.

The ones who survivied the war seem harder to track

Welcome to the wonderful world of genealogy :D

Clement Barrington Furmston was born in 1894, his birth being registered in June quarter at Mansfield. Volume 7b, Page 115.

On the 1901 census, he is shown as living at The Vicarage, Old Blackwell. The family is Samuel, aged 57 and a clergyman (born Cambridge), his wife Susan, aged 45 (born Herts.), and children Olive (15, born Leicester), Clement (6, b. Mansfield), Wilfred (3, b. Mansfield), and Amy (9 months, born Blackwell).

As all the Furmstons referred to earlier are from Lancashire and Cheshire, I suspect that you might have to go back quite some time to establish any connection.

Stephen, thanks! I didn't have all of his siblings on my database!