Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

aerial photo Delville Wood sector

uncle bill

found this original German reconnaisance photo. If you magnify you can make out traces of buildings. There are also white block shaped objects visible, any ideas as to what they might be ?

post-831-1124262988.gif

oops, still trying to get this computer to do what I want. The pictures seem to be to big to post, does anyone know how to reduce the number of octets ?

Bill

What are you saving the picture as?

The best way to save a picture is in JPEG format. You might find that you can post it more easily then.

Steve Smith

thanks Steve. I am saving it as a jpeg but it is still too big.

Bill

Is there any way you can crop the picture when you scan it? Out of interest how large is the JPEG file?

Steve

If you check your scanning or photo manipulation software, you should find an option to 'resize' your pictures.

The Forum only accepts jpg or gif images. The recommended maximum size is 400 pixels wide. Any larger and the pic may disappear off the screen and will use too much of Chris' valuable computer space.

have I cracked it ?

post-831-1124400905.jpg

If anyone can manage to magnify this picture there are many interesting things to be seen. You can still see the remains of buildings ( cellars ?) in Longueval and there are what appears to be vehicles on the road to Hardecourt. The photo is german reconnaisance.

I'm afraid it does not work like that. The information you lost when shrinking the graphic can't be reinvented by blowing it up again.

You could post a small section at 'full scale' or you could place a scan of the whole thing somewhere on the internet so we could download it. How practical that is depends on the image size in Mb.

My uncle Oscar was killed in Delville Wood. Have you got a date for your photo?

Clive

it's dated 22:9:1916. I could email you a larger file

Could I have a copy too? My interest is in Longueval. Thanks.

Clive

Very relevant. Oscar was killed on 31 August 1916. Yes, thank you, I would love to see a big image. How big is it? My impression is that there was little left of Delville Wood by this time. Trees, trenches, graves and remains were all smashed according to accounts I have read.

I have had an email saying you have sent me a personal message - but no message!

Thanks for taking the trouble with this.

Clive

Bill

Could you do the same for me? I'm currently doing some research into Delville and would love to have a copy of the photo.

I'll PM my email address if it's alright with you.

Steve Smith

hope this one is better

post-831-1125056489.jpg

If you look along the road to Hardecourt you can see what could be vehicles, lorries, ambulances ?

delville wood

post-831-1125056992.jpg

another try

post-831-1125057605.jpg

apologies to those who asked for copies, problems with computer. I hope you are able to use the pictures I've just posted.

Thanks for trying on this. I would love to get a closeup of the area around Tea Trench and Orchard Trench, and possibly Cocoa Lane.

If that is a real photo, it should have a lot of detail that could be brought out by scanning a small section at high resolution. If you scan the whole thing at high resolution the file will be enormous.

Thanks again for your efforts.

post-857-1125062431.gif

Bill,

Thanks for posting the image.

Steve

YOU'RE WELCOME; CLIVE

GIVE ME YOUR EMAIL AGAIN AND I'll mail you the photo.

Thanks Uncle Bill. I have sent my email address in a PM.

If anyone has GoogleEarth, I have done an overlay of the photo onto present day Delville Wood and added a link to it.

Peter

Edited by Peter Beckett

Clive,

I hope you dont mind but have just added your trench map to a GoogleEarth overlay as well.

PM if you want a copy

Peter