Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/York & Lancs

Guest scott leader

Hi Scott

They were on the Aisne and then at Armentieres. I can find a little more info. tomorrow when I am sober :lol:

Annette

Hi Scott

They were on the Aisne and  then at Armentieres. I can find a  little more info. tomorrow when I  am sober :lol:

Annette

You meet some classy birds in this place ;)

Hi scott

The 16th Brigade which the 2/York & Lancs belonged to relieved the 7th & 9 Brigades North East of Vailly, Aisne on the night of the 21st September. I do not know their full details but they held trenches to the left of Rouge Maison Farm until about the 11-12th October. The Brigade then started to move north to Hazebrouck area and were involved in heavy fight south to south-east of Armentieres from the 18th Oct to the 25th, when the 16th Brigade withdraw through 18th Brigade helding new front line. The Division stayed in Armentieres sector until about 27-30th May 1915, when it in then moved north to the Salient.

Annette

You meet some classy birds in this place
What can I say Steven :)

Scott

Following on from Annette's post, the 2nd Battalion York and Lancaster Regiment was part of the 16th Brigade, 6th Division. I searched several orders of battle and could not see the 16th Brigade or the 6th Division participating in the First Battle of Ypres.

Ray Westlake's book on British Battalions in France and Belgium 1914 has details for the 2nd Battalion's movements from August to December 1914.

The battalion was involved in actions at Radinghem and the Chateau-de-Flanders(18 October), and Le Touquet (23 October). Further front line duty occurred in October and November. At the end of December the battalion took over trenches fronting Armentieres. When not in the line, the battalion withdrew to billets at Rue de Bois, Bois Grenier and Fleurbaix.

Hope this assists.

Chris