Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regular Army or TF

jdajd

Generally, which would the fastest way be for a man joining in August 1914 to get to the front a Reg. Army or TF unit? Thanks

Jon

Jon,

The TF was the fastest way to the Front and many units relied on this fact to get the recruits they desperately needed. The 'glamour' was with the Pals Bns but they generally didn't get to see action until mid-1915, whereas the Terriers were in action by the end of 1914.

Regards

Steve

Whilst it is true that some TF battalions saw action towards the end of 1914, the majority of first-line units did not go overseas until until the following year,many between March and May. Second-line TF units went in 1916.

Terry Reeves

The specific question regards those JOINING in August 1914, I believe. In which case, the standard training was six months and these standards were not amended until later. TF units were sent as a unit, and only [initiallly] if the Imperial Service obligation was undertaken by 80% of the unit.

But these are generalisations: it is easy to find individual exceptions.

Regarding the 6 months training, the 1/5 South Lancs (my special interest) went to France in early/mid Feb 1915, including quite a lot of recruits from the previous September, my GGGrandad amongst them.

So they didn't always get 6 months, but neither were they shipped straight to the front from the recruiting office!

S