Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA arrivals in France 1915

Guest Charlton

Guest Charlton

Hello,

I think this is an impossible one to answer but this forum seems to deal with these on a daily basis so here goes! The MIC of Samuel Dennett (number 5071) confirms that he served in the RFA and arrived in France 3 August 1915. Is there any way that units arriving on or about that date can be determined? I am assuming, of course, that he arrived with his unit, and wasn't simply posted with batch of replacements. My guess is that he would have had a substantial period of training from when he volunteered in Sept. 1914.

Thanks,

Charlton

Hi

The MIC does not give a brigade. However if you were to look up his soldier's record in the NA at Kew, you may be lucky and find it is not one of the burnt ones! If the record has survived you will be able to find out which unit he was attached to and when he sailed for France. If you look at the war diary for the unit then that would tell you when the unit sailed for France. If he was in the RFA then he probably disembarked at Le Havre.

Bit of a long shot but you may be lucky!

Hilary

Charlton

The National Archive holds documents giving lists of units embarking for overseas service 1914-18, with dates:

WO162/7 and WO379/6.

Terry Reeves

If you look on the main site at the divisional pages they list when the division went abroad. Use the selection menu on the main Army Orgnisation page.

37th Division seems closest (2-8-1915). It was nor unusual for the Divisional artillery to move abroad at a slightly different time to the Infantry because of their horses and equipment. Not definitive, though...

Steve.