Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great war modern art poll

Soren

DO YOU FEEL THAT THERE IS A PLACE FOR CONTEMPORARY WW1 ART ART?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. DO YOU FEEL THAT THERE IS A PLACE FOR CONTEMPORARY WW1 ART ART?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not bothered

Soren

Perhaps I'm being a bit dim, but are you using contemporary to mean 'of the present time' rather than 'of the same period' [i.e. WW1] ?

Sue

Soren

Iffen you mean drawings etc in a Great war setting or theme, produced in the present day....

Then yep I surely do

Afraid that (if my understanding of the question is correct - same as the above) I've had to vote "no" for this one.

Like modern day authors trying to write novels and modern day poets trying to write poetry on WW1 themes, I find modern day artists drawing and painting pictures on WW1 themes to be a little "plastic" and false in style. Those who were there (or have experienced similar) seem to see things in a different light than those who weren't.

Contemporary Great War art is fine for illustrative purposes (if they're accurate enough), but I always feel that the "heart" is missing from works (of any type) which are the end product of reading books , listening to second hand stories and seeing photographs.

Sorry, but this is just my opinion.

Dave. :)

I think that there is a place for art that looks back at specific points in time. I believe that most art represents the feelings and emotions of the artist, i.e., how the subject has affected the artist, rather than the artist trying to represent the feelings of the subjects - therefore, as long as the artist is emotionally involved with the subject then there will always be plenty of "heart" evident.

For all pals who have contributed artistic efforts - I do enjoy looking at the latest sketches and ideas; maybe I should reply to some threads and share my appreciation, but I don't want to come across as gushing.

Keep up the good work.

Stuart

Soren

Perhaps I'm being a bit dim, but are you using contemporary to mean 'of the present time' rather than 'of the same period' [i.e. WW1] ?

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm sort of replying to 2 posts here!! I mean people here and now reflecting on WW1.

Regarding Dave’s posting, I suppose it becomes like any history painting, embellished or exaggerated, better then forgetting it though, I feel.

Part of the attraction of the Great War is that it's impossible to replicate in art, without being there.

Having said that it is really priceless looking at people’s faces when I'm on my stall, the realisation that someone in the here and now is bothering to commit artistic suicide by dealing with events 90 years ago, the reaction I get is of excitement and enthusiasm for my subject.

If I wanted to earn money on the stall, I'd need to do sickly paintings of the beach or new forest, instead I choose to be skint but honest to myself. :unsure::lol:

Soren

Hi all

Those who were there (or have experienced similar) seem to see things in a different light than those who weren't.

I can see Dave's point, art by someone who was there is more speicial then done by someone who was not there, evan if the art is not that good it as meaning. But I also think that there is a place for modern works too on the War, many artist have painted seens from the past. Some of you know that I draw Great War soldiers, why I do I am not sure, I never do it for other people just for myself. Up until a few years ago I had never showed my work to people outside my family except when my husband insisted on showing his mates. I am not that good at drawing other subjects, I only got B+ in my G.S.E. art, but when it comes to drawing a Great War Soldier then I find something extra.

Annette