Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help on Somerset Light infantry please.

pompeyrodney

Having researched my grandfather on my fathers side I am now turning to my other grandfather. All I really know at present is that his service number was 27731 and he finished the war as a private. If anyone can tell me where the regimental history is kept and how I can access it I would be very grateful indeed. Cheers everybody.

Regards

Julian

Julian

I am not able to tell you from the service number which battalion your grandfather

served in.

However I do have a copy of the Regimental History - not the war diary - and would be happy to supply copies of the relevant chapters once the Battalion is identified.

I work in Portsmouth Mon-Fri so this would be easy!

See this site for background info:

http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/013SomLI.htm

Dave

Julian,

The Light Infantry Office at Mount Street in Taunton hold many records for the SomLI and were trying to compile a database by name from their records. They may be able to help.

I have done a fair bit of research into the Regiment, and will be happy to help with whatever I can if you can identify the battalion. Do you have a name - just in case I have something already?

Do you know where your grandfather served?

Regards,

Brendon.

Julian

I am not able to tell you from the service number which battalion your grandfather

served in.

However I do have a copy of the Regimental History - not the war diary - and would be happy to supply copies of the relevant chapters once the Battalion is identified.

I work in Portsmouth Mon-Fri so this would be easy!

See this site for background info:

http://regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/013SomLI.htm

Dave

hi Dave

Many thanks for your response. I shall do some more diggiing to try and find out which battalion he was and then I shall get back to you. Thanks again.

Julian

Julian,

The Light Infantry Office at Mount Street in Taunton hold many records for the SomLI and were trying to compile a database by name from their records. They may be able to help.

I have done a fair bit of research into the Regiment, and will be happy to help with whatever I can if you can identify the battalion. Do you have a name - just in case I have something already?

Do you know where your grandfather served?

Regards,

Brendon.

Hi Brendon

His name was Cyril Wyndham George House but I have no knowledge of where he served. I do know he was shot in the stomach and had to spend nearly two years in hospital but that is all I know at present. Thanks for any help you can give.

Julian

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Brendon

His name was Cyril Wyndham George House but I have no knowledge of where he served. I do know he was shot in the stomach and had to spend nearly two years in hospital but that is all I know at present. Thanks for any help you can give.

Julian

I have since found out that my grandfather was most likely in the 2nd battalion. If anyone can tell me some more it would be very much appreciated.

Regards

julian

Julian

The 2nd. Battalion were in India from August 1914 to 1925. It saw active service in the Third Afghan War (May-Aug 1919). Does this still fit with the info you have?

Dave

Julian

The 2nd. Battalion were in India from August 1914 to 1925. It saw active service in the Third Afghan War (May-Aug 1919). Does this still fit with the info you have?

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info mate, much appreciated. It proves that he cannot have been in the 2nd battalion as he was wounded in France. I have just spoken to his daughter and she tells me he had the top half of his left hip shot off and spent 18 months in hospital in Manchester. I see form the link you previously published that the 6th 7th and 8th battalions were all formed up in Taunton, well Cyril farmed in Puriton outside of Brigwater, so that could be a big clue. Your thoughts would be appreciated my friend.

Cheers

Julian

Julian

Given that Puriton is only 15 miles(?) from Taunton, where the Regiment Depot Jellalabad Barracks (now flats) and RHQ (Mount Street) were located, your suggestion is a strong possibility although the 5th (TF) had a company in Bridgwater and he could have enlisted at their HQ.

I will be researching in Bath Central Library on Friday (9th). I will check the casualty lists in the local papers to see if I can find further info on him.

Dave

Julian

Given that Puriton is only 15 miles(?) from Taunton, where the Regiment Depot Jellalabad Barracks (now flats) and RHQ (Mount Street) were located, your suggestion is a strong possibility although the 5th (TF) had a company in Bridgwater and he could have enlisted at their HQ.

I will be researching in Bath Central Library on Friday (9th). I will check the casualty lists in the local papers to see if I can find further info on him.

Dave

Dave

Thanks for the offer of doing some research on my behalf. The casulaty lists I feel will shed some light on the battalion of origin, and could give an insight into some of the history behind Cyril's war service. He never spoke about the war at all to any of his five children so they are all anxious to hear about it. Thanks again Dave.

Julian

Hi Julien

I was at the SLI office in Taunton today and had a look for your grandfathers record.

He is recorded in the 7th Battalion casualty book as a member of 'D' Company, was wounded in the front line near Guillemont on 4th March 1917 and returned to England on 15th March.

Thats the only reference I could find.

If you want further information perhaps Brendon Moorhouse could help as he has written an excellent book 'Forged by Fire' which covers the actions of the 7th Battalion.

Regards

Brian

I assume you've found his MIC and dowloaded the PDF?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...1&resultcount=1

Has anyone checked the Medal Rolls at Kew, yet?

Steve.

Hi Steve

Yes I did have the MIC until I lost it when my PC died a while back. I take it you think the medals awarded would be a big clue to my grandads history?

Julian

Hi Julien

I was at the SLI office in Taunton today and had a look for your grandfathers record.

He is recorded in the 7th Battalion casualty book as a member of 'D' Company,  was wounded in the front line near Guillemont on 4th March 1917 and returned to England on 15th March.

Thats the only reference I could find.

If you want further information perhaps Brendon Moorhouse could help as he has written an excellent book  'Forged by Fire'  which covers the actions of the 7th Battalion.

Regards

Brian

Brian

Thank you very much for getting this for me, brilliant news. Now I just need to find out about the battle in which he was wounded. Would the battalion history be worth a look and if so where or who would hold it please. Thanks again Brian.

Julian

Julian,

Sorry, I replied to your message before checking this post.

House was one of many men injured simply holding the front line in front of Combles between 2nd and 16th March 1917.

It was bitterly cold and the men were under sporadic but sustained sniper and artillery fire.

The men often stayed near Guillemont, a village that the battalion helped capture on the 3rd September 1916, when out of the front line.

Regards,

Brendon.

Julian,

Sorry, I replied to your message before checking this post.

House was one of many men injured simply holding the front line in front of Combles between 2nd and 16th March 1917.

It was bitterly cold and the men were under sporadic but sustained sniper and artillery fire.

The men often stayed near Guillemont, a village that the battalion helped capture on the 3rd September 1916, when out of the front line.

Regards,

Brendon.

Hi Brendon

Thanks again for the answer. Could you advise me where I might find out any further info regarding how my grandfather came to be wounded. I would love to know for my mothers sake more than anything. Is your book widely available by the way Brendon ?

Julian

Julian,

I will do what I can to find more detailed information and let you know.

My book is available through Amazon etc, published by Spellmount.

Brendon.

Julian,

I will do what I can to find more detailed information and let you know.

My book is available through Amazon etc, published by Spellmount.

Brendon.

Brendon

I have bought your book this afternoon so that should give my family some interesting readng. I look forward to hearing more from you and the other pals.

Julian

Hi Julian. My Great Uncle was KIA on the 13th June 16, supporting the Canadians at Mount Sorrel. He was in A coy, 7th Bat SLI, at Railway Wood. My Great Uncle joined at the onset. When did your man join? Perhaps they knew each other? By the way, you will enjoy Brendon,s book, it is superb and full with all sorts of info! I spend my time between my house in Ypres and working in the UK. I travel the 7th,s movements quite alot, if you require a certain action site photo or place name, just ask and I will see what I can do! Regards to Brendon also. Chris Lock.

Hi Julian. My Great Uncle was KIA on the 13th June 16, supporting the Canadians at Mount Sorrel. He was in A coy, 7th Bat SLI, at Railway Wood. My Great Uncle joined at the onset. When did your man join? Perhaps they knew each other? By the way, you will enjoy Brendon,s book, it is superb and full with all sorts of info! I spend my time between my house in Ypres and working in the UK. I travel the 7th,s movements quite alot, if you require a certain action site photo or place name, just ask and I will see what I can do! Regards to Brendon also. Chris Lock.

Hi Chris

My grandfather Cyril I believe joined at the onset as well but so far as I am told he was in D coy. I think the 7th formed up in Taunton, please correct me if I am wrong about this. I am really looking forward to reading Brendon's book. Is there a battalion diary available anywhere, if you like war diaries try reading this one of my other grandfather Diary of John Pitt 8th battalion AIF. Looking forward to your response.

Julian

Julian. Brendon's book should give you most of the info you are looking for! Make sure you visit the SLI museum in Taunton. Its full of stuff. Ask to speak to Col Elliot, he supplied me with all sorts of stuff. Copies of the Battalion war diary, casualty lists, the SLI magazine of the day. You will be amazed what comes to light from Brendon, email him, he is gent, very busy but honest! I also have the history of the SLI THROUGHOUT THE GREAT WAR! Please contact me for any certain dates and I will look up for you! Chris.

Julian. Brendon's book should give you most of the info you are looking for! Make sure you visit the SLI museum in Taunton. Its full of stuff. Ask to speak to Col Elliot, he supplied me with all sorts of stuff. Copies of the Battalion war diary, casualty lists, the SLI magazine of the day. You will be amazed what comes to light from Brendon, email him, he is gent, very busy but honest! I also have the history of the SLI THROUGHOUT THE GREAT WAR! Please contact me for any certain dates and I will look up for you! Chris.

Hi Chris

Thanks for all your help, I have got Brendans book now so I shall read that and pose questions as and when they crop up. I was really surprised to read that the 7th did not even have any rifles initially. Incidentally what were the Lee Metford rifles mentioned, were they the forerunner to the Lee Enfield?

Cheers

Julian