Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Concert Parties

Muerrisch

Explaining the full extent of the duties of the entertainers to his wife, Gen. Monash wrote home thus on 19 July 1917

"You recently asked whether our pierrots have to take their turn of duty 'in the trenches.' Of course they have to. It would be very disagreeable to themselves if the idea were to get about among their mates that they had a soft job. We usually choose the performers for the time being from units which are resting or out of the line in reserves. It is quite true that occasionally we loose one of the troupe. Only the other day our leading lady went through 'her' performance with a bit of shrapnel in 'her' neck." He concludes "They have all sorts of fancy names, such as 'The Coo-ees,' 'The Merry Moles,' 'The Very Lights' and so on."

Regards

Michael D.R.

Concert Party of the Swansea Battalion (14th Welsh; 38th Welsh Div) was known, with great originality, as 'The Swans'. It actually played several venues in Swansea after the war ended but before the Battalion had come home. These were fundraisers to assist the wounded etc. with getting their lives back on some sort of even keel

Bernard Lewis

a few more gleanings, from Australian official website ....

37 Div Barnowls [one word]

The RAFs

The Greys

Pakeka

The Detonators R Ordnance Corps [it says]

Sons of Guns RA

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a programme for a concert by the NZ Divisional Theatre. Anyone know where the performances took place?

Front

post-2-1062254810.jpg

Middle

post-2-1062254947.jpg

Middle right

post-2-1062255043.jpg

Back

post-2-1062255215.jpg

Raster,

Kate and I can follow this up for you - but it may be a week or two before we can dig out the background.

Give us a nudge if we haven't responded in a couple of weeks.

Martin

Pretty sure NZ Division was in the Salient in March 1917; in the sector between Ploesgteert and Messines.

The concert party could therefore have been in Bailleul at this time, which was their rear echelon.

Martin/Paul

Many thanks for the assistance, this was yet another item passed on to me by the RE Gt Uncle who's diary is on the main site.

John.

Great War lists of names always fascinate me and raise the question of the ultimate fate of the men concerned.

A quick scan through of our lists of entertainers show W G Carr and L S Poore becoming casualties in 1917 and 1918 respectively . They were both in the N.Z Medical Corps . I wonder if this reflects their status as musicians turning to medical duties in war or their choosing honourable non-combattant employment being of a more sensitive and artistic disposition ?

I think this is something of an over-simplification, Ian. My own researches into musicians in uniform (amateur and professional, died and survived), show far more in combattant units. Regimental musicians have always had a frontline duty as stretcher bearers, and the RAMC could more readily open its doors to those who had fewer physical attributes or were older in years, thereby allowing enlistment from much broader spectrum of manpower, which doubtless included some sensitive artistic souls.

A case in point is the composer Vaughan Williams, who was 42 when he volunteered for service in 1914. He also had flat feet, and was told that the RAMC was the best bet for his enthusiasm. He went through the Somme offensive, but was then accepted for a commission in the much-expanded RGA in the latter part of the war (I think a previous thread centred on RAMC transfers to the RGA).

• 10 months later...

Hi

I have been going through this thread and noticed that the 2nd Canadian Divisional Concert Party was names as The Maple Leafs. The Maple Leafs were the 4th Canadian Divisional Concert Party The 2nd Canadian Divisional concert Party were known as the See Toos. Below is a scan of a Maple Leaf period programme the soldiers depicted show the patch of the 54th Battalion 4th division.

Best regards

N.S.Regt.

post-2-1089912268.jpg

programme inside

post-2-1089913118.jpg

This week end my 89 year old mother in law was visiting, she mentioned that her grandfather James Reynolds (not sure of spelling) was shamed into joining up after a particularly acrimonous argument with his wife along the lines " better men than you are fighting at the front" he must have been getting on for 50 years old at the time but apparently joined a branch of the flying corps but as an accomplished clog dancer and all round entertainer soon became a member of a concert party. I don't know anything more, he was from Ancoats, Manchester. Has anyone come across any Mancunian concert parties?

The RFC had plenty of concert parties, but because their personnel were not drawn from one particular area, the Manchester connection is no help in identifying which one. It would be interesting to know a bit more about this chap Susie. Have you considered researching his career?

The Maple leaves concert party certainly had some heavy hitters involved with them. Nat D Ayer wrote " If You Were the Only Girl in the World" and the "Byng Boys" show, amongst other things. Birmingham born Clifford Grey was a prolific lyricist, responsible for some 25 shows in the twenties and thirties.

Terry Reeves

Guest dinkidi

Langley

Talbot House in Poperinge has undertaken a detailed study of these groups. Armed with the info provided by the forum, you may be well placed for a mutually rewarding discussion with their [most congenial] Archivist.

ooRoo

Pat

Hi all

Been following this thread with much interest! I had no idea they were so organised and widespread, but in hindsight, makes sense!

Could anyone tell me what 'Party' was drawn from / linked to the following units please?

54th Division in Balkans (162 Brigade, 1/5th Bedfords)

18th division in France (54th Brigade, 7th Bedfords)

Long shot, but arent most of them? :rolleyes: I know the man Im learning about was known for his Gilbert and Sullivan singing, performed local shows before the war, so (funnily enough) this looks rather interesting!

Thanks, in anticipation!

Steve

• 1 month later...

To return to this fascinating topic and perhaps to refresh interest, I have recently picked-up a post card of the "Whiz-Bangs", 46th Div. Even more fun was a card of an "Australian RE's Entertainment Aug 16th 1917 Circus Party".

Apart from anything else - and I hate to shock you - it shows Aussies soldiers in frocks! Does anyone know anything about circus parties?

Regards

David

Never heard of a circus party before. Perhaps the title was a reflection of the type of acts within their ranks. Where were they performing David? Could it have been out East with some exotic animals?

Almost certainly they were on the Western Front from their clothing - which included a Charley Chaplin outfit - a bit hard to come by elese where I would hae thought.

Regards

david

19th Kings Liverpool Regiment (3rd Pals) concert party was ' The Duds.' A photo appears of them on p139 ' Liverpool Pals ' by the late Graham Maddocks.

Regards,

Bill