Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Divisional Concert Parties

Muerrisch

Not really David. There were many thespians who trod the boards in WW1, who knew where to make requests for all sorts of things. A theatrical wigmaker in Brighton, for instance, supplied wigs for productions in Salonika; and another soldier serving there, Pte Martin-Harvey, son of great actor Sir John, wrote home for costumes. Considering so much was lost to torpedoes in the Med. the costumes were pretty impressive, and by comparison the W Front was easy to supply with all the comings and goings and the excellent postal service.

Apart from anything else - and I hate to shock you - it shows Aussies soldiers in frocks! Does anyone know anything about circus parties?

Regards

David

G'day Dave.

The name "Circus Party" MAY be a bit misleading. It would probably refer to a fairly standard Concert Party. Pre War, there were many travelling country shows which would have a wide mixture of entertainments. These might travel individually or congregate at Agricultural Shows [County Fair type] Exhibitions. They were often referred to as "Travelling Circuses"

Anything or anyone amusing [or inept] was referred to as "A bit of a Circus, or a real Circus"

There would of course be the odd smuggled-in mascot given a star role in the Army shows.

I can't really believe the Frocks, but it is rumoured they sometimes replaced their flannel underwear with silk, 'cause the chats, lice, wotever, couldn't hang in there.

Pat

• 1 month later...

I have a photo of my father and others entitled 'The Kalyan Knuts'. This was aboard the Hospital ship HMHS Kalyan held in ice at Archangel 1981/19. My father was in the RAMC

• 2 years later...

It's not often one has the chance to revive a thread from way back in 2003/4

but I would like to add to this list,

the RE Concert Party from Jerusalem, 1918

[photograph borrowed, with thanks, from the LoC]

REConcertParty1918JLM.jpg

regards

Michael

• 6 months later...

My Great Uncle, Wilfred Alexander(AWA), in 1917, temporary Lt Colonel, OC the 34th Divisional Train, wrote the book for two pantomimes, one of which was 'Dick Whttington'. He also designed the "girls'" frocks! I have photos and more details if anyone is interested or has any other details of this troupe.

Christopher

Not really too much to add to this thread, though I can say that 21st division, as mentioned by Kate earlier, by years I have to say, was called the 'Soarers'. My point however is that given this was the nickname of Major-General David Campbell, commander of the division from May 1916 to the end of the war, we can date this from May 1916 and not before. I wonder if this was their first group or if they renamed, or if they were 'no name' concert party prior to this?

Actually its not information but a question by the looks of it!

regards

Arm

Hi

I have a small collection of concert parties which I will post a couple at a time

First The Royal Blues and The Bow Belles

The "Young Ladies" may have looked quite attractive after a month up the line

post-27843-1200947058.jpg

post-27843-1200947077.jpg

Three Australian troupes now

The Anzac Coves and two of another group one "On Stage" and "ready for the line" note the front soldier still wears his skirt under the jacket

post-27843-1200947309.jpg

post-27843-1200947320.jpg

Well the third one didn't load so I will do them two at a time

the second Aussie one first and then The Strolling Minstrels of 56 Field Company RE from l to r Cpl Cowper, Cpl (Miss) Skinner and Sapper Porter

post-27843-1200947523.jpg

post-27843-1200947538.jpg

Two cards where all are named

XV Corps Heavy Artillery Concert Party

Captain Palon XV Corps HA, Capt Collins Sth African FA, Staff Lt unnamed, Lt Fielding 32 SB, Sel 38 SB, Gnr Huskinson XV Corps, Gnr Priest, Gnr Nottingham XV Corps, Gnr Knott XV Corps, Bdr Hamilton, Bdr Rushton, Gnr Stewart 208 SB.

Below 33 Infantry Base Depot "The Bing Boys"

Lcpl Fere, Pte Jagger, Sgt Todd, Pte Fere, Pte Bunting

Lcpl Edwards, Pte Cork, Capt Harford, Lcpl Musson, Sgt Pettman

Two cards where all are named

XV Corps Heavy Artillery Concert Party

Captain Palon XV Corps HA, Capt Collins Sth African FA, Staff Lt unnamed, Lt Fielding 32 SB, Sel 38 SB, Gnr Huskinson XV Corps, Gnr Priest, Gnr Nottingham XV Corps, Gnr Knott XV Corps, Bdr Hamilton, Bdr Rushton, Gnr Stewart 208 SB.

Below 33 Infantry Base Depot "The Bing Boys"

Lcpl Fere, Pte Jagger, Sgt Todd, Pte Fere, Pte Bunting

Lcpl Edwards, Pte Cork, Capt Harford, Lcpl Musson, Sgt Pettman

post-27843-1200948451.jpg

post-27843-1200948790.jpg

post-27843-1200948805.jpg

A couple of individuals

Hal Jones of the Headquarters 1st Army Concert Party " Les Rouges et Noir" and Splinter of the same unit

I hope those of you with an intrest in the subject have enjoyed these photos if anyone can add anything it will be gratefully received

regards

John

post-27843-1200949038.jpg

post-27843-1200949052.jpg

Not really too much to add to this thread, though I can say that 21st division, as mentioned by Kate earlier, by years I have to say, was called the 'Soarers'. My point however is that given this was the nickname of Major-General David Campbell, commander of the division from May 1916 to the end of the war, we can date this from May 1916 and not before. I wonder if this was their first group or if they renamed, or if they were 'no name' concert party prior to this?

Arm

My guess is that they were formed with this name. Why rename a party, unless it received bad reviews or underwnt a major reorganisation? It may well be the case the General Campbell was instrumental in forming the party, and / or took a close interest in it. A number of commanding officers did e.g. General Gay of 26th Division, and Col Bradford of the DLI.

..... commanding officers did e.g. General Gay of 26th Division...

Ah yes, now thats a different story, one night after the watershed.

Thankyou John.

Regarding 4th Division Follies, this was probably the first official divisional party, formally adopted at Armentieres in February 1915, though it was actually formed at least a month prior to this with a mixture of ASC and Artillery. Two (real) French women performed with the party for a short time. I can't make out the date on your postcard, but if it says 1915, it must have been taken early that year.

Harold Chapman is the 'girl' in the Bow Bells line-up. He had expected to join the troupe as a baritone.

The female impersonator on the extreme right of The Goods production is Pte George Webster, reckoned one of the best. The Goods scored a hit with Babes in the Wood. This is possibly a scene from that panto. The Goods leading man was usually Arthur Frith, seen in the light suit third from left.

hal Jones and other members of the Rouge et Noirs (named from First army's red and black sign) had a long post-war touring career asThe Splinters variety troupe, and made a film in 1929.

My Great Uncle, Wilfred Alexander(AWA), in 1917, temporary Lt Colonel, OC the 34th Divisional Train, wrote the book for two pantomimes, one of which was 'Dick Whttington'. He also designed the "girls'" frocks! I have photos and more details if anyone is interested or has any other details of this troupe.

Christopher

Christopher,

I am hoping to produce a book on the subject of concert parties (working title 'Treading the Duckboards') some time in the distant future, so I would be very interested to learn more about your great uncle. Was he with The Chequers perchance?

I am hoping to produce a book on the subject of concert parties (working title 'Treading the Duckboards') some time in the distant future...

In the meantime, I thoroughly recommend Kate's talk of the same name which she gave recently at the Kent WFA branch. Looking forward to the book Kate!

Nice to see an old thread revived. Thanks for the new photos John.

• 1 month later...

The Tykes were in the Ypres area in the New Year, 1918. Grandfather was with 146 Bde., 49 Div. which was in Reserve at Dragoon Camp. In a letter to his young sister, dated 2/1/18, he wrote 'Well dear I will tell you we had our Xmas do last day in the old year as circumstances would not allow before we had a fairly good time and we went last night to see the Tykes perform which was lovely.'

Keith

My Grandfather served with the 15th (Yeomanry) Battalion, Suffolk Regiment in 230 Brigade, 74th (Yeomanry) Division.

This is a picture of the stage of their battalion concert party, 'The Palestine Pops'. The broken spur badge of the division on the red 230 Brigade diamond in at the top centre of the stage and the Suffolk Yeomanry cap badge (see avatar, left) appears avove the Pps on the wings.

All I know about them is that they must have existed as I have this photograph but if any of you know any more I would love to hear from you...

Cheers,

Taff

post-1565-1204229283.jpg