Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Day with the Black Watch

Soren

Hi Pals,

'Christmas Day with the Black Watch' Well I tried to imagine it, at least!

Soren :D

UPDATE: I have kindly been informed that they did not have the diced band around the glengarrie....... could they become RSF? I suppose the RSF did not wear kilts....... probably easier to just get the pencil out and colour in the hat!

post-4474-1124092702.jpg

Soren,

These are cracking.

If you ever plan to part with any of these give me a shout - they'd go nicely with your drawing of the 'Brooding Scot' :)

Well done mate,

Derek

Ian,

On 29 December 1915 the 9th BW received the following Christmas presents. From the C.O., Lieut.-Col. Lloyd - then convalescing in Scotland - £12.10.00 to drink his health on New Year's Day.

From Mrs Lloyd - 252 lbs. plum pudding, 84 buns, 8 boxes of nuts, 19 tins of shortbread, 150 pipes, 80 lbs. tobacco, 8000 cigarettes - also hose tops, shirts, socks, scarves, helmets and body belts.

From Mrs Rusk - the mother of Lieut. G. A. Rusk - 8 cases apples and 8 cases oranges.

From Daily News Army Xmas pudding fund - 1/2 lb. per man.

Quite a haul :)

The War Diary records that on the evening of the 31st the officers dined together to see the New Year in, but as a whole the Battalion slept 'it' in.

New Year's Day 1916 was observed as a holiday with religious services and a football match with the A.S.C. - which the BW lost 3-0. :(

There's a photograph of the 9th BW celebrating New Year on the Somme in Eric Linklater's book - The Black Watch. I'll try and post a copy.

Not sure what happened Xmas/New Year 1917-18 but I'd imagine something similar.

All the best,

Derek