Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Major Scott

marktb1961

Hello all,

I'm a new member looking for any information on my grandfather, John Eric Scott, a Major in the Royal Irish Fusiliers 36th division (Ulster).

All I know about him is that he was in the Battle of the Somme and captured by the germans. He escaped three times .

My mother gave me a silver crown pin that she said was given to him when he made major. Here is a photo. P8140001n2n.JPG

P8140002n2n.JPG

Other than that and my grandparents wedding license I have no more information on him. He passed away in 1938.

Thanks for any effort,

Mark B

Mark

There appears to be only one John Eric Scott. He served in the ranks of the 16th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles with the service number 16/193. He rose to the rank of Sergeant, before being commissioned. However, he appears to have been a 2nd Lt though. His medal index card can be found on-line at National Archive web site.

16 RIR were raised in County Down in September 1914, drawing its men from Lurgan. In January 1915, it became a pioneer battalion with 36 Division.

Terry Reeves

The Crown pin looks very like the Crown on top of the R Ir. Fus badge. I'll hunt up a pic.

16 RIr Rif. raised in Lurgan but punters from all over the place ended up in it.

Des

Badge .. Any pics of the man or other documentation?

post-1582-1124055882.jpg

Edited by Desmond7

Thank you Terry and Desmond,

I think that must be him , I just got off the phone with my mother and she does have a photo of him in uniform right after being commissioned as a 2nd Lt.

She is going to have a copy made and send it to me, then I'll post a photo of him. My Mum was born in County Down in 1922 so that looks like a connection.

Thanks Again

Mark

Mark,

The Service records for officers are available at the Public Records Office in London.

I have had a few for Ulster Division officers.

Look down the forum index to the section i'm off to the PRO and see if anyone can help. You may need to pay for their time if they are proffesional researchers and also for the photocopying so it could come to £20-30 or more if its a big file but it would be worth it as you get all the dates of service,promotions,addresses,next of kin etc.

It would also be possible for the 'looker' to make sure he has the right man before ordering the copies.

If he was with the 16th Royal Irish Rifles first there was a good book published a few years ago called 'The Terrors' a history of the unit through the 1st War.

I have a copy and will have a quick look.

Rob.

• 2 weeks later...

Received the photo of my grand dad from my mother . She said it of him just after he made 2nd Lt. Have not been able to find out much more than this .

Thanks again for all the assistance .

P8230004n2n.JPG