Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Burgess MM

AB64

I got in another nice pay book this time to 89296 William Burgess of 49 Company MGC - on his discharge certificates it has him as winning the MM, but searching the London Gazette website I cant find any details. Any suggestions for finding deatils of where/when and how he earned the MM?

Thanks again

Alistair

Hello

There is a medal index card that confirms an award - you will need to get a copy to confirm the details

Also

Medal card of Burgess, William

Corps Regiment No Rank

Suffolk Regiment 8642 Private

Machine Gun Corps 89296 Private

Ian

I will download the MIC from the website - I actually thought I had, but when I checked I just got the one relating to the paybook I mentioned in another thread (Blanshard)

Thanks

Alistair

Hello

its the MIC in wo 372/23

Ian

I will download the MIC from the website - I actually thought I had, but when I checked I just got the one relating to the paybook I mentioned in another thread (Blanshard)

Thanks

Alistair

Hi,

I just got the MIC and medal card - I didnt realise they had seperate cards for things like the MM - I thought they added them to the standard card. I found him - on the Gazette from 2 Aug 1918 suppliment 6 Aug 1918.

Thanks

Alistair

Hello

Good job all round - you found whay you wanted and learnt something new

What the forum is all about

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

you could try local papers or the war diary

Ian

6 August 1918, Page 9235.

89296 Cpl. W. Burgess, M.G. Corps (Whittlesey).

Whittlesey is 82 miles from London, 11 west from March and 6½ east-by-south from Peterborough, if you're interested... His unit is not given in the LG, but if a 1918 MM more likely to be 49 BATTALION, not Company. Divisional Battalion of 49 Division. Probably a former member of 146, 147, 148 or 199 Coys MGC. Possibly for the 2nd Battle of the Lys in April.

Hi,

The 49 Company came from a stamp in the paybook but I think it was from 1917 and I think they went into 16th Battalion or something like that - Im sure it was in an Irish Division - I looked it all up on the web but I am at work now so I cant double check at the moment and I have a terrible memory.

Alistair

I should be going to Peterborough library for a look at the local papers on Saturday. I'll have a look to see if he shows up. Can you PM me Friday/Saturday morning to remind me?

My Great-Uncles MM was gazetted 12-7-1918 and was in the papers in May 1918. I'm still looking for record of his gassing in 1918 so it's not much out of my way...

16th Division was indeed an Irish Division.

Steve.

Well, if you'd said the stamp was 1917....

In that case, yes the Brigade Machine Gun Company (49 Coy MGC) of 49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division; later C Company 16th Bn MGC. MM probably therefore for 1st Battle of the Somme 1918 (April). Bn War Diary might shed some light. Away from notes, can't give the WO95 ref but have it at home.

Thanks Phil,

At the time I posted I didnt realise the MGC had been reorganised late on so I thought that would have been his unit for the duration of his active service - it was only after posting I found some of the information you have given - I didnt know that they became C Company of teh Battalion - another useful bits f information to add.

Thanks again

Alistair

Managed to spot William Burgess in my continuing trawl of the 1918 papers.

Good news and bad news.

Bad news is that it doesn't mention when or how for his MM, but Good News is fair bit of other information + picture.

Bizarrely there were two mini-articles on him in unconnected adjacent columns on the same page. Strange :huh:

Peterborough Advertiser 1st June 1918.

Corporal W. Burgess, Machine Gun Section, late Suffolk Regiment, son of Mr Thomas Burgess of Whittlesey, has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field. He is the possessor of the Mons Riband going to France from Ireland on 13th August 1914, and has been only once slightly wounded.

and,

Cpl. W. Burgess, Machine Gun Company, late Suffolk Regiment, of Whittlesey has been awarded the Military Medal for bravery in action. The recipient was in the army when the war broke out being stationed in Ireland, but he was immediately depatched to France and took part in all the early fighting, including the Battle of Mons. He is still serving on the Western Front.

post-6536-1125764235.jpg

Being in Ireland pre-war puts him in the 2nd Suffolks - and with my great-uncle who was POW after the 2nd Suffolks formed the rearguard at Le Cateau on 26-8-1914.

It's a small world...

Steve.

Thanks Steve more great info - pity their is nothing on how he won the MM, but good to have a picture and the bits you go, I owe you one (or two)

Thanks again

Alistair