Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tockwith, North Yorkshire

brownag

I am wondering if anyone out there has the names from the Tockwith War Memorial (if it has one).

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Tockwith other than it is in North Yorkshire but I'm interested to know if a Sgt William Dalton of the 22nd Bn Australians is listed? I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't but I'm curious to know.

Dalton was born in Tockwith in 1882. His wife, not his parents, is the next of kin listed on his attestation papers and the CWGC does not list any n.o.k so I don't know if he still had a family connection there 40 years later when any memorial would have been built.

Thanks

Adam

Adam

I live close to Tockwith village. I will be happy to check :-

1) Tockwith has a memorial and

2) if Sgt Dalton appears on the memorial.

The only problem is I will not be able to check until next week. Will that be ok ?

Paul

Adam

According to the minutes of the Tockwith with Wilstrop Parish Council for January 2003, there is not a war memorial in the parish. The minutes are on line, just type Tockwith into your search engine. By coincidence, it looks as though somebody else has made a similar enquiry.

Terry Reeves

Hi Adam.

A bit off topic, but i have a photo in my possession of a Tockwith lad, buried Connaught Cemetery,Thiepval, Somme.

Drop me a mail off line if you want a scan.

Tockwith is just up the road from me and i might be wrong, but i can't recollect any war memorial there. The nearest is Wetherby, i can have a look if you like?

Regards, Chris.

P.S, Cockayne, If your in the vicinity, could this be a Baker Pals meet. I'll drop you a mail :D

Many thanks to all who replied.

Paul / Chris - please don't go out of your way over this. If you are passing Tockwith or Wetherby and you see a memorial, and if you have time I would be very grateful if you could check, but there is absolutely no hurry for this. I posted the message hoping that there may be someone in N. Yorks who photographs war memorials!!

Chris. Thaks for the kind offer of the photo but it is just Sgt Dalton I am interestred in.

Cheers

Adam