Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1918 52nd division - 157th brigade

glasgow

hello

I've been able to find out some basic info about the 157th brigade. I cannot find anything about what they were doing in August 1918. I think they took part in the battle of the Scarpe but does anybody know what specific objectives they had?

hello

I've been able to find out some basic info about the 157th brigade. I cannot find anything about what they were doing in August 1918. I think they took part in the battle of the Scarpe but does anybody know what specific objectives they had?

Hello

I am reading The History of the 52nd ,taking a break from building flat pack furniture at the moment but will have a look Sun for you if nobody beats me to it

Cheers

ColinH

Hi

I aussume it is:

The Fifty-Second Lowland Division 1914-1918 by Lieut-Col R.R. Thomson.

Thomson mentions that on the 24th of Aug 1918 the 157th Brigade attacked a portion of the Siegfried Line which ran behind the crest-line of Henin Hill during the Second Battle of the Somme. The main units involved were the 6th HLI the 5th HLI with the 7th HLI in reserve. They captured their first few objectives but began to suffer big casualties as they reached the Hindenburg Line. Losses were 26 officers and 450 other ranks killed or wounded with 3 officers and 82 other ranks missing.

Regards

LIT

Hi G,

The following pages are from the book mentioned by LIT. They cover 27-31st Aug 1918, but mainly focus on the fighting of the 27th. It appears that the 157th Bde. were withdrawing on the 28th when your relative died (perhaps he died of wounds received on the 27th?).

Stuart

p. 528-9

p530-1

p.532-3