Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Para 392 (XVIa) KR

daz68

I am looking for some help on decipering a code related to the Kings Regulation 392 from a Service Record of a William Stace.

My relative was demobbed on the 20th May 1919 as a Sergeant. His demob papers refer to him as “disembodiment of demobilisation”, and that he was “surplus to military requirements, having suffered impairment since entry into the service, Para 392 (XVIa) KR”. I know that KR refers to the Kings Regulations but what I would like help on is what does 'XVIa' mean?

Hope so one can help.

Regards

Darren

Thanks Chris,

I have read the list and it only notes xvi...

(xvi) No longer physically fit for service

The one I am researching is xvia?

Regards

Darren

• 4 weeks later...

I have now found an answer to my question, which I have posted below in case anyone else comes across this notation:

Kings Regulation 392 xvi refers to "Surplus to military requirements (having suffered impairment since entry into the service)"

There are two specific sub-paragraphs that state:

"a) During a period of war

B) During a period of demobilisation"

Regards

Darren

Darren,

Thanks for the clarification. I had wondered what the a & b signified.

It now makes me think that an a or b on any of the relevant paragraphs might mean the same thing.

Regards,

Ken

Darren,

Where did you find this gem?

One for the Pals - I have transcribed the War Badge Roll for the Dorsetshire Regiment and have found on occasion the use of KR 342 and 393 - would it be safe to assume that these are typos on behalf of the clerk who compiled the roll?

Steve

Steve,

Had a look at KR 342 it says;- "The following qualification will be required of an NCO befire being permanently posted or attached to the regular establishment of the Special Reserve".

KR 393 is a paragraph dealing with the instructions to Classes (xiv), (xvi) & (xxii) of Para 392.

So as you say probably typing errors.

Graham.

P.S.

Did I send you all of the information that you required from my KR's, or did you require more?

G.S.

Steve

How did you manage to transcribe the rolls for a regiment, are they all in one place? When I've looked at SWB rolls for the Buffs, they are scattered about all over the place.

Mick

Steve,

Had a look at KR 342 it says;- "The following qualification will be required of an NCO befire being permanently posted or attached to the regular establishment of the Special Reserve".

KR 393 is a paragraph dealing with the instructions to Classes (xiv), (xvi) & (xxii) of Para 392.

So as you say probably typing errors.

Graham.

P.S.

Did I send you all of the information that you required from my KR's, or did you require more?

G.S.

Graham,

Thanks for the confirmation. It was as I thought as all the 393 anomalies occured on a single page and 342 likewise, so presume a junior clerk got it wrong and thought it better to keep it all the same and hoped no-one noticed!

Yes, I received all the KRs re Service Docs, for which many thanks. However in light of this thread, if you were able to scan the 'actual' KR 392 (if it wasn't too tedious for you) I would be most grateful.

Regards

Steve

Steve

How did you manage to transcribe the rolls for a regiment, are they all in one place? When I've looked at SWB rolls for the Buffs, they are scattered about all over the place.

Mick

Mick,

Yes - the Volumes containing the badges awarded to the Dorsetshire Regt are those for the 39th Regimental District, so they are all together but one also finds awards to the other Regiments in the District - if I remember correctly - Wiltshire Regt, Devonshire Regt, Hampshire Regt and Somerset Light Infantry - maybe others too. In total I had to go through a fair number of books to extract 2439 names. However this makes for an extremely useful research resource and would recommend it to anyone with the time and patience!

Regards

Steve

Steve

Looking at some of the rolls I've got, I think all the Buffs will be in No10 District.

Did you find that all the District books were consecutive? Or is it a case of finding the references of known SWB men with different discharge dates and going from there ?

Mick

Mick,

It was some years ago now I copied them, but I'm fairly certain all books were consecutive. The books/pages were in order of date of submission of each list. Each page would be men from only one Regt. The page could be full or only a handful of names. There could be 4 pages of Dorsets followed by 1 of Wilts and 3 of Devons - list date being the deciding factor. I only copied the Dorset sections, not the other Regiments, so there are obviously big gaps in the war badge serial number awarded. I cannot say if the other Regiments in the District were awarded badges in these gaps.

More food for thought!

Steve

I 'did' the SWB Roll recently for the 9th King's Liverpool Regt.

The books are, as described, consecutive. They were compiled by area, so all of the infantry regiments within each area are together. In my case that meant trawling through the Lancashire Fusiliers, Manchesters, etc. And there were often different regiments on the same page, which meant keeping focussed throughout. In addition, I was only looking for one battalion of the King's so I had to make a judgement when it came to 4-digit numbers (the 6-digit ones were relatively easy to identify as 9th King's).

What you need to bear in mind is that many, many men of 'your' regiment would have been transferred to other units prior to being discharged and awarded the SWB. They will not appear in 'your' regiments SWB Roll and will be very difficult to find. At some stage I am going to have to trawl through the SWB Rolls for the Labour Corps etc. and I'm not looking forward to it.

But generally, the SWB Rolls are well worth doing, for the information you find there which you won't easily find elsewhere. I managed to find 750 men discharged from the 9th King's complete with dates of enlistment and discharge, etc.

Regards,

Ken

post-927-1126085885.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Steve

You were absolutely correct. The Buffs are all in the Hounslow books. There are about 500 pages in the 13 volumes, along with the Queen's, Middlesex, Royal West Kent, etc. (In fact just about every member of the current Princess of Wales Royal Regiment).

Thank goodness for digital cameras.

Mick