Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A 19 to be build

BatterySergeantMajor

Just on the one o' clock news: Flemish government has decided to go on with the extension of the A 19 motorway (near Ypres) to the coast.

No more information about traject at the moment.

Erwin

Erwin,

I think this is a bit confusing.

What I have heard several times today on the radio (12 and 12.30 and also later, local news) is exactly the opposite : that the motorway will NOT be extended. An alternative was found, and this will leave Pilkem Ridge as it is.

The traffic from Kortrijk (Courtrai) will, after leaving the motorway A19, make use of the Ypres ringroad, but before reaching the crossroads with the N8, a new road will be laid going north, a little east of Brielen and Elverdinge and Woesten.

Actually not really a totally new road, but making use of an already existing (very small) road, parallel with (east of) the problematic N8 road which now goes through Brielen, Elverdinge and Woesten.

Aurel

Erwin,

I think this is a bit confusing.

What I have heard several times today on the radio (12 and 12.30 and also later, local news) is exactly the opposite : that the motorway will NOT be extended. An alternative was found, and this will leave Pilkem Ridge as it is.

The traffic from Kortrijk (Courtrai) will, after leaving the motorway A19, make use of the Ypres ringroad, but before reaching the crossroads with the N8, a new road will be laid going north, a little east of Brielen and Elverdinge and Woesten.

Actually not really a totally new road, but making use of an already existing (very small) road, parallel with (east of) the problematic N8 road which now goes through Brielen, Elverdinge and Woesten.

Aurel

Aurel

I stated in my post that I didn't know the new traject, although I had hoped for this itinerary. Didn't I defend this alternative earlier in a thread?

Indeed, the expression "extension" could have been better chosen.

But this seems to be a very acceptable compromise. And you know I was strongly opposed to the A 19 as it was intended to be built in the beginning.

Erwin

Apologies, Erwin. It's just that I had thought that when you wrote "... to go on with the extension of the A19 motorway", that you meant it was going to be extended. Whereas the radio news said the motorway was not going to be extended.

So a misunderstanding of the word "extension" indeed. All clear now.

Don't know if you had defended this alternative. Possible. This road east of Elverdinge and west of Boezinge looks totally new to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

The newspapers will tell more tomorrow.

Aurel

Apologies, Erwin. It's just that I had thought that when you wrote "... to go on with the extension of the A19 motorway", that you meant it was going to be extended. Whereas the radio news said the motorway was not going to be extended.

So a misunderstanding of the word "extension" indeed. All clear now.

Don't know if you had defended this alternative. Possible. This road east of Elverdinge and west of Boezinge looks totally new to me. But maybe I'm wrong.

The newspapers will tell more tomorrow.

Aurel

I am not sure if I brought this suggestion for an alternative itinerary forward on the Forum or in other discussions. It was not me who invented it neither.

If I understood it correctly the actual plan is a compromise between environmental and historical interests on one hand and the interests of the local small villages at the other side. Just those who wanted to make the big money regardless of anything else may stay on their hunger, and I'm very happy with that.

Erwin

A reasonable result all round.

Aye

Malcolm

Yes, Malcolm, except that it will turn a nice and narrow country road a few hundred meters behind my house, ideal for bike riding, between peaceful fields and meadows, into a busy and noisy express road. :o

But I don't want to show NIMBY syndrom symptoms... <_<

Aurel

Anyone passing by Aurel's BY somewhere in 2013, please sound your car horn! :lol:

I wonder in what condition his hearing will be by that time B)

Patrick,

Can you please write a bit louder ? Can't read it. Not without my reading glasses and hearing aid.

Aurel.

(You, making fun of elderly people. Wait until I get you !)

Below : the planned alternative road.

Yellow = new road.

Little blue cross = when you arrive there in 2013, please do not sound your horn.

Aurel

post-92-1123941165.jpg

Yes, Malcolm, except that it will turn a nice and narrow country road a few hundred meters behind my house, ideal for bike riding, between peaceful fields and meadows, into a busy and noisy express road.  :o

But I don't want to show NIMBY syndrom symptoms...  <_<

Aurel

OOOOppps! Sorry Aurel.

Aye

Malcolm

Anyone passing by Aurel's BY somewhere in 2013, please sound your car horn!  :lol:

Why wait until 2013? - especially now that Aurel has provided a map to help us locate the best place to sound the horn :P

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

The Belgian newspaper ' De Tijd ' brings today a full-page article on 'Pilkem Ridge' and the decision of not-extending the A-19 motorway. It shows a nice photograph of the nowadays ending of the A-18 motorway and the in the neighbourhood present Buff's Road Cemetery.

The article quotes e.g. Aurel Sercu, Piet Chielens, Yves Leterme, ... .

Gilbert Deraedt :blink:

• 3 weeks later...