Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Le Cateau/Landrecies and Etreux

Paul Byrne

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Paul

Not sure how close it is to Le Cateau, but I think it's in the area - any chance of looking for

'OGLESBY, HAROLD

Lance Corporal 10868

died 18/10/1914

King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry

Panel 31. LE TOURET MEMORIAL' ?

As I understand it, this lists all the 'missing' from the early months of the war. Harold was one of the minority of KOYLI survivors from Le Cateau, only to be killed at Chateau Wood a few weeks later. If it's not convenient, no worries. Thanks for the offer anyway.

Dave

Hi Paul,

If you have not been to Etruex, you will be very impressed when you do. I visited there last year and did the walk of the engagement. It was quite moving to read the acounts of the engagement while sitting in that peaceful cemetary. There is a grave Stone to a Hanrahan of the munster Fusiliers. He was from the town of Ennis where I live. I took a picture of his stone intending to do a bit of research. The funniest thing happend a couple of months later. I was at a wedding of a female work collegeue and I got chatting to her elderly uncles at the bar. To nice old chaps, and the conversation turned to the great war. It transpired that they were infact the nephews of this man Hanrahan. They were delighted to see the video I had taken and the photo of his grave.

A truely wonderous place. I hope that you enjoy your trip Paul.

Regards

Ross.

• Admin

Deeply envious Paul, I find that area magnificent, unspolied and full of history.

Mind you, Dad was talking about going to the Aisne again soon.......Maybe I could tag along with him? :P