Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New N.A. Digitization Project

westkent78

Just found the announcement that the N.A. are beginning to digitize these records.

Should please all you naval types.

For some reason I can't post a link at present but it's announced in the "What's New" page.

They indicate that 22% of the Registers 1853-91 are online at present, which probably won't help those with just a Great War interest, but hopefully they'll get to the 1914-18 men within the next year.

Looks like you get a 1 page record for the standard 3.50 GBP fee.

Matthew

• 4 weeks later...
They indicate that 22% of the Registers 1853-91 are online at present, which probably won't help those with just a Great War interest, but hopefully they'll get to the 1914-18 men within the next year.

In fact it's quite the reverse - most of the records already on line seem to be of seamen who saw service during the Great War. No Stokers yet, but out of seven men I've just searched for, five are there, including three who joined after the outbreak of war, and one who had served twelve years in 1912, and was recalled in July 1914, becomeing a casualty on the 'Good Hope.'

With so much complaining normally about the lack of service records online, I think this is great work by the National Archives.

Sue

Excellent news! I've got a man on the Good Hope also. I'll look him up this evening.

Roy

I have just found my paternal grandfather on line.

I already have his certificate of service which shows details of ranks, ships, qualifications, medals, physical description, character and ability and the awarding, and deprivation, of good conduct badges from 1916 to 1928.

Would I get more than this for my £3.50, for example, his service aws an officer?

Nigel the miser

In fact it's quite the reverse - most of the records already on line seem to be of seamen who saw service during the Great War.  No Stokers yet, but out of seven men I've just searched for, five are there, including three who joined after the outbreak of war, and one who had served twelve years in 1912, and was recalled in July 1914, becomeing a casualty on the 'Good Hope.' 

With so much complaining normally about the lack of service records online, I think this is great work by the National Archives.

Sue

Funny you should mention that Sue, as the record of one of the sailors I was interested in have now come up and I've discovered that he went down with the Majestic, at the grand age of 40. As I'd been concentrating on his service around 1900 I hadn't even considered that he may have served in WW1. A bit more lateral thinking is obviously required in future!

Regards,

Matthew

I already have his certificate of service which shows details of ranks, ships, qualifications, medals, physical description, character and ability and the awarding, and deprivation, of good conduct badges from 1916 to 1928.

Would I get more than this for my £3.50, for example, his service aws an officer?

Nigel the miser

Nigel

Probably safest to keep your hands in your pockets! :lol:

It sounds as though you've probably got most of it, but if you go to the Documents Online main page, and use the 'Read More' link next to the 'Search' link, it gives examples of what you'll get. What's there now doesn't include officers' papers anyway, so your money is safe!

Sue

I sense a contradiction there, as you said you found him, and also he was an officer. I'm sure officer's records aren't there [or am I?] Off to check :ph34r:

Sue

No, of course they're not!

Edited by SueL

No contradiction, just my poor explanation.

He joined as a Boy 2nd class in 1914 and worked his way up through the Signals Branch until he was appointed Yeoman of Signals in 1928 and achieved Warrant rank. His Certificate of Service stops at that point.

From the Navy Lists I have traced him a bit further but the detail from that source is basic. He first appears as Acting Signal Bosun in 1928 and worked his way up slowly from there. I know he came out in the 50s and was not happy because his last rank was Commander, but he only received the pension of a Lt Cdr as he hadn't held the rank long enough.

Nigel (not feeling so miserly now!)

Excellent news! I've got a man on the Good Hope also. I'll look him up this evening.

Yes excellent news! I also have a man on the Good Hope and have just got the download. Found 2 out of 4 others also.

• 2 weeks later...