Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Commanding Officers

James Brown

Hi

I am trying to find out who they Commanding Officers were of these battalions who landed at Gallipoli.

1/7th (Blythswood) Battalion

1/5th (City of Glasgow) Battalion

1/6th (City of Glasgow) Battalion

I know the 1/7th landed on the 3rd July, and the 1/6th landed on the 2nd July.

Can anyone tell me where I could find any reference to these battalions, at that time.

Thanks

James Brown

James

The doings of the 1st/5th are chronicled in The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914-1918 which was published for private circulation by MacLehose, Jackspn & Co of Glasgow in 1921. The CO was Colonel F L Morrison VD, who was later awarded the CMG and DSO, and they landed at Helles in the late evening of 2nd July.

Charles M

Dear All,

We are talking about the 157th Brigade / 52nd Division, right ???

When at it would somebody be able to tell me who the Brigadier of the 157th was ??

And ... (I know I am asking allot !!) also there is a 4th bn in this brigade (Argyll & Sutterland) .... anybody who knows who the CO was.

Thanks in advance and sorry James to take advantage of this occasion ...

cheers

eric

• 2 weeks later...

The commanding officers of the 157th Brigade of the 52 (Lowland) Division at Gallipoli were as follows -

1. 1/5th H.L.I. - Col. F.L.Morrison VD

2. 1/6th H.L.I. - Col.W.H. Millar - who assumed command of 157th Brigade for a period on 5th July 1915 due to Brig. General P.Hendry being ivalided to hospital with dysentery and fever. During this period command of 1/6th H.L.I. fell to Major James Anderson.

3. 1/7th H.L.I. - Lt. Col. J.H.Galbraith.

Source for the above information is The Fifty Second (Lowland) Division 1914 - 1918 by Lt. Col. R.R.Thompson published by MacLehose Jackson of Glasgow in 1923.

I hope this is of help to you.

The doings of the 1st/5th are chronicled in The Fifth Battalion Highland Light Infantry in the War 1914-1918 which was published for private circulation by MacLehose, Jackspn & Co of Glasgow in 1921. The CO was Colonel F L Morrison VD, who was later awarded the CMG and DSO, and they landed at Helles in the late evening of 2nd July.

Thanks Charles I will source the book at the Library.

Thanks in advance and sorry James to take advantage of this occasion ...

No problem Eric, every source helps.

Source for the above information is The Fifty Second (Lowland) Division 1914 - 1918 by Lt. Col. R.R.Thompson published by MacLehose Jackson of Glasgow in 1923.

Tried Tom Morgans site but couldnt see it. On the N&MP site it costs £28 for a reprint. I will shop about....but I suppose the information will outweigh the cost.

Thanks again all.

James

• 2 weeks later...