Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

18th Lancashire Fusiliers 1st Oct. 1917

Chris_B

At least twenty men from the 18th Lancashire Fusiliers were casualties around 1st-4th October 1917. Some commemorated on Tyne Cot.

I'd be greatful if someone could tell me the battalion's movements and activities around this time.

Thanks,

Chris.

According to my copy of 'Soldiers Died', the 18th LF suffered no fatal casualties during this period. (There is a gap between 13/9/17 and 14/10/17) At the moment I don't have Volume I of the Official History to hand, but Volume II says that they from 29th September to 1st October they were at Doingt then moved by train from Peronne to Aubigny, spending the next 10 days at Avesnes -Le-Comte before moving up to the Salient ready to take part in the attack at Houthulst on 22nd October. Do you have the right dates? I'm guessing you might mean 1918. In October 1918 the battalion was advancing out of the Salient and did suffer losses, some of whom are commemorated on Tyne Cot.

Mark etc.

Blast! Poor typing - dates should be in 1918 of course.

Would still like to know location in Salient.

Chris.

chris,so its 1-4th oct 1918,here goes.

starting on 29th sept,they were in the bluff and lock 6 voormezeele,30th sept advancing through zandvoorte and tenbrielen,attacking near america cabaret.1 oct renewed the attack on america cabaret,2nd oct kruiseecke,3-6th oct zillebeke siding,6th oct in support terhand,

bernard

chris,so its 1-4th oct 1918,here goes.

starting on 29th sept,they were in the bluff and lock 6 voormezeele,30th sept advancing through zandvoorte and tenbrielen,attacking near america cabaret.1 oct renewed the attack on america cabaret,2nd oct kruiseecke,3-6th oct zillebeke siding,6th oct in support terhand,

bernard

Bernard,

Thanks for that.. Something concrete to follow up on.

Chris.