Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ieper visit late August

Mark Hone

I shall be in the Salient area in the last week of August (28th-31st) doing some recces for my October battlefields tour as well as taking a friend to the scene of her grandfather's MM. If anyone is around say hello. I apparently look just like a History Teacher ( not surprisingly) according to previous postings, so am not difficult to spot. We should be at the Menin Gate on each night of our stay at the Ariane.

I shall be in the Salient area in the last week of August (28th-31st)

Mark

we're over there from the 26 - 31, the plan at moment is to be in ypres on the monday

:D and i know you don't look like my old history teacher!

chris

I shall be in the Salient area in the last week of August (28th-31st) doing some recces for my October battlefields tour as well as taking a friend to the scene of her grandfather's MM. If anyone is around say hello. I apparently look just  like a History Teacher ( not surprisingly) according to previous postings, so am not difficult to spot. We should be at the Menin Gate on each night of our stay at the Ariane.

hello again,

very busy days, (and little problems with the forum etiquette :( )but i agree with you <_< the offer for the free drink is still valid. and so we also will learn to know eachother. allways welcome ! kind regards, peter

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned from Belgium, where I did meet Iain McHenry but unfortunately didn't RV with Harribobs or Kristof as intended. Apologies to both. I did manage to get my friend's partner hooked on the Great War so one objective was achieved. He had to be dragged out of Toc H, Passendale Memorial Museum etc. I was amazed to see that at least two Scottish school parties were doing battlefields tours at the start of their school year. Don't think I'd get permission to do that, or be very popular with colleagues! Due to circumstances beyond my control I didn't get a chance to take up the Vivaldi on their kind offer, but as usual I propped up the bar a bit at the Sante. Ieper was fuller than I ever remember it in the summer. We said a fond farewell and bon voyage to Jacques R. in his last few weeks at Talbot House. Very disapponted not to be able to find a solitary bottle of the late lamented Passendale beer anywhere.

I recced Aubers Ridge and Hooge for my October tour, paying my first visit to the crater in the grounds of the Chateau. Unfortunately the restauarant was closed, but I assume that I'll be able to get a party in there in late October with a prior letter.

I have two bottles of Passendale Beer in my fridge, with a "best before" date of November, 2006. Does this mean that they are going to be collectibles?

It came as a surprise to hear (if I read you right, Mark) that the brand is no more. It's one of my favourites.

Do you know why production has stopped??

Tom

mark

i did look for you on monday, but suspected i may have missed you in the crowds, i was very impressed by the turn out at the gate. pleased to hear you had a good time, we certainly did

my condolences regarding the passing of passendale beer, i am consoling myself with the last of the leffe at the moment.....i fear i may be down to jupiler by the end of the week myself :blink:

Tom-I think the news broke around the time of the last Forum tour, when some cryptic references were made to the ceasing of Passendale production on the thread about that. I've not heard the full story as I forgot to ask in Ieper when I was there last week. However neither the Tommelin beer warehouse nor any of the beer shops in Bruges had a bottle and it was not available at our hotel although still listed on the menu.

Passendale was manufactured by the Moortgat brewery, most famous for their 'Duvel' brand. Apparently they only started making Passendale in 2000, as part of a tie-in deal with the makers of Passendale cheese. I still can't find the full chapter and verse on why production ceased but according to one beer site they have chosen to concentrate on their 'extra blonde' pilsner instead. I didn't make it to the excellent cheese festival in Passendale this year, unfortunately, so may have missed my chance for a last bottle.

One interesting Great War fact that I did discover was that Duvel was originally called 'Victory Ale' when it was produced after the war. The name was changed to 'Duvel' in 1923. I seem to remember reading that it was the top Belgian beer brand until recently, when it was overtaken by Leffe.

Thanks for the details, Mark. Pity about Passendale - it was a very refreshing drink after a day out in the battlefields and didn't make you feel "overtired" in the morning! I discovered it as a new arrival among the other brews in the fridge at Varlet Farm and it became a favourite of mine.

Ah well - these things happen.

Tom