Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

30 Squadron

DaveBrigg

Does anyone have information about Lieutenant William Stuart Bean of 30 Sqdn RFC (and formerly Royal Engineers)? His CWGC record lists date of death as 21/01/1918, age 26. He was the son of a brewer, and former pupil of our school. I have managed to visit his house, and brewery (sadly closed) but have only a brief account of 30 Sqn at this time. British forces at war in Iraq - who'd have thought it...

Many thanks

Dave

Any of this new to you?

London Gazette 2-2-1915

ROYAL ENGINEERS

East Riding (Fortress) Engineers, Electric Lights Company; William Stuart Bean to be Second Lieutenant. Dated 17th December, 1914.

----

London Gazette 2-5-1917

ROYAL ENGINEERS.

2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) W. S. Bean to relinquish his temp, rank on alteration in posting. 26th Sept. 1916.

----

London Gazette 5-5-1917

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —

Flying Officers:

21st Mar. 1917.

2nd Lt. (temp. Lt.) W. S. Bean, R.E., T.F., and to be secd.

----

London Gazette 15-11-1917

TERRITORIAL FORCE.

ROYAL ENGINEERS.

The undermentioned to be Lts., with precedence as from 1st June 1916. 1st July 1917: —

2nd Lt. W. S. Bean, and to remain seconded.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Dave

Lt W S Bean and AMII Robert Gregory Castor (186221) were flying DH 4 A7591 of No 30 Sqn RFC when they were killed in action by a direct hit from anti-aircraft fire on 21 January 1918. Twelve aircraft from No 30 Sqn were bombing an advanced German aerodrome at Kifri from 7000 feet when A7591 was shot down.

There are a few lines about the raid in Volume 5 of The War in the Air; bombs were seen to explode near aeroplanes on the ground. An attacking bomber [A7591] 'was blown to pieces in the air' by a direct hit.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Hi Steve & Gareth

Many, many thanks for the info. This was all new to me and fills a great hole, as well as giving more leads. The only part I couldn't follow was "R.E., T.F., and to be secd" Presumably the R.E. refers to the Royal Engineers, but unsure of the rest. As for the raid - it doesn't sound like a very pleasant way to die.

Best wishes

Dave

The only part I couldn't follow was "R.E., T.F., and to be secd"

Dave

It translates into English as: Royal Engineers, Territorial Force, and to be seconded [to the Royal Flying Corps].

Regards

Gareth