Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

bourlon wood info?

Guest patric

Hello, I am new to this site so please bear with me. My grandfather was 817511 Cpl James J. Mulheron of the PPCLI [ Eastern Ontario Regt.] He was killed on Sept 28th 1918 near Tilloy. He is buried at Crest Cemetery, Fontaine-Notre Dame. I believe it was during the battle for Bourlon Wood, part of the Marcoing Line. I am seeking info on that battle and any involvement of the PPCLI in it.

I am told that there is a book called "With the PPCLI in Flanders 1914-1918 Then and Now" by Stephen K. Newman but it is out of print. Can anybody help me find details of that event? I would be most greatfull for any help.

Thank you, Pat Wilband

email at kellan@av.eastlink.ca

Hello, I am new to this site so please bear with me. My grandfather was  817511  Cpl James J. Mulheron of the PPCLI [ Eastern Ontario Regt.] He was killed on Sept 28th 1918 near Tilloy. He is buried at Crest Cemetery, Fontaine-Notre Dame. I believe it was during the battle for Bourlon Wood, part of the Marcoing Line. I am seeking info on that battle and any involvement of the PPCLI in it.

I am told that there is a book called "With the PPCLI in Flanders 1914-1918 Then and Now" by Stephen K. Newman  but it is out of print. Can anybody help me find details of that event? I would be most greatfull for any help.

Thank you, Pat Wilband

email at kellan@av.eastlink.ca

Patric,

There is also a book (Part of the "Battleground Europe" series) called Bourlon Wood. It is published by Leo Cooper, Pen and Sword. It gives some great accounts of the actions in and around the wood. The ISBN number of the book is:

0 85052 818-6

I hope this is of help to you. I have walked around and through the wood many times. There are some great examples of German Machine Gun and Command bunkers still in the wood

Best regards

Iain