Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sydney George Parker Seaforth Highlanders 1913/20

Guest feralmaniac

Guest feralmaniac

I am seeking any information regarding my Grandfathers war service during ww1.

I believe he served in the Seaforth Highlanders and also the Royal Artillary. He was also sent to Cologne as an interpreter at the wars end. We know he was wounded , but in what battle we do not know . An early photograph appears to show a gallantry medal. Any info or leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou

feralmaniac

How far have you gone in looking up his medal index card, service records (if exisiting) at Kew? Do you have his medals (service number on rim)? Have a look at 'The Long, Long Trail' (link above) which gives research info.

In the Seaforths and sent to Cologne might mean he was with the 9th (Scottish) Div.

Post what you already know and maybe we can guide you better. Some pals on here might be able to do a gallantry medal lookup as well, if you know which one.

Ian

Feral,

Welcome to the Forum

Have you had a look round the Forum and looked for pointers?

Do you have a note of your Grandfather's Service Number or his medals?.These should have his number stamped on the rims.You could try and download his Medal Index Card.See separate thread where you will find guidance and cost.

If you can post the photograph we may be able to determine which Regimental Uniform he is wearing.

Just post as much information as you have and we'll see what we can do.

George

Guest feralmaniac
How far have you gone in looking up his medal index card, service records (if exisiting) at Kew? Do you have his medals (service number on rim)? Have a look at 'The Long, Long Trail' (link above) which gives research info.

In the Seaforths and sent to Cologne might mean he was with the 9th (Scottish) Div.

Post what you already know and maybe we can guide you better. Some pals on here might be able to do a gallantry medal lookup as well, if you know which one.

Ian

Gidday Ian

Thank you for getting back to me.I followed both yours and dycer,s advice and tried the medal index records. Unfortunately i am unable to trace my grandfathers medals but i feel the results i came across may be what i am seeking.

The numbers that came up are

S4/244793 Corp ASC

T/1790 Priv Queens Regt 240281 Priv Queens Regt.

As i live in Perth West Australia i cannot access the Kew records so if any one can give me an idea how to go about accessing these records i would really appreciate any ideas.

Once again thank you for your time.

Cheers

Feral

Feral,

Of course you will know more about yr grandad than me, but Seaforths and RA seem somewhat different than Army Service Corps and Queen's Regt!'

Are you sure of the facts?

My personal suggestion would be to pay a professional researcher to look. He will ask you all that you definitely know, and look at the records remaining at Kew to see if any are for your grandad. I think this site may have some recommended names. If not, I can give you the details of a chap I have used and found to be quite efficient.

Ian

Guest feralmaniac
Feral,

Of course you will know more about yr grandad than me, but Seaforths and RA seem somewhat different than Army Service Corps and Queen's Regt!'

Are you sure of the facts?

My personal suggestion would be to pay a professional researcher to look. He will ask you all that you definitely know, and look at the records remaining at Kew to see if any are for your grandad. I think this site may have some recommended names. If not, I can give you the details of a chap I have used and found to be quite efficient.

Ian

Gidday Ian,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

You could be right about the results i have found as i am looking at anything with Grandads name.

I would appreciate the details that you mentioned and as you suggested it may be the way to go.

Cheers

Feral

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance"