Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Mascot

PFF

Saw two different websites of World War I of same photo which showed a cat with a soldier of York and Lancaster Regiment in trench.

What was York and Lancaster mascot/badge? :)

It was this - and was endearingly (?) known - as was the Hampshire Regiment's badge - as ''The Cat and Cabbage". So a cat would be an appropriate mascot, be it brought out or locally acquired!

post-573-1123656431.gif

Hi

I hadn't given any thought to mascots or badges, but seeing your thread has me wondering if the South Lancashire's had one. If so, what was it? Do you happen to know? I have absolutley no idea what their badge depicted, but would be extremely interested to know.

Regards

Margaret

South Lanacashire badge, if I am correct, was POW's feathers over a sphinx on a tablet enscribed "Egypt" in a laurel wreath with a crown at the top and beneath that a scroll. A further scroll at the base of the badge.

Doesn't immediately suggest a mascot of any sort

Mascots were official and unofficial; the latter probably being far more numerous.

Official mascots include Goats and Dogs and I think possibly a Black Buck and the Paras at one time had a white pony called Pegasus.

Royal Irish regiment, Irish Guards and London Irish Rifles (D London Irish Rifles Coy. The London Regiment) have Irish Wolfhounds.

Guards regiments refer to regimental pets as opposed to mascots I think.

There is the head of a Duck with a silver collar in the Guard's museum. I think it's from the Crimea but may be wrong.

Billy Bishop the canadian flyer in the RFC kept a pig as pet at one time; I think that he painted iron crosses on it for some reason.

I would have thought that unofficial mascots could bevirtually anything with fur or feathers within reason.

Thanks PFF and Squirrell

PFF - The web-site link you pointed me to is going to be a good one when it is finished.

Squirrell - erm.... I can understand the Prince of Wales feathers, but why Egypt?

Regards

Margaret

Antecedent regiment(s) served in Egypt in 1801.

Sorry.

Should have added that The Queen's Lancashire Regiment has an excellent website with a very good potted history of all the regiments and amalgamations etc that have taken place prior to the current regiment being formed.