Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin L32

themonsstar

Hi

As any one got any info on this Zeppelin L32 somewhere in Essex Sunday 24th Sept 1916 at 01:20 AM. Cheers themonsstar

L-32 from Ahlnorn, on its third combat flight and commanded by Werner Peterson, was shot down on the night of the 24th September 1916 by Lieutenant Frederick Sowery.

Sowery on patrol from Suttons Farm (Hornchurch) in a BE2c engaged L-32 over Essex at 0045. On his third drum the airship burst into flames and crashed at Snails Hall Farm, Great Burstead.

The scene is depicted in a number of postcards as is Sowery along with Leefe Robinson and Tempest who were also based at Suttons Farm and shot down SL-11 and L-31 respectively.

An account of the night of the 24th appears in 'I was there'.

I have a couple of pictures of the three pilots but at the moment my scanner is out of action.

Regards

Matt

Hi.

Caption reads;

"Above is the scene at Snail's Hall Farm, near Billericay, men of RFC are engaged in removing the debris".

Regards, Chris.

post-47-1123707674.jpg

Hi Lads

Thank you for the info. in the photos i have the frame is still in one so i think the Zepp is L33 which hit ground in a field berween Little Wigboroug and Peldon.The photos are from Capt B S Hoare. he was with the 2/6 Batt Manchester Regt at Wivenhoe Park Camp which is near the site. He say it was the L32 in the photo album

In the book 'First things first, RAF Hornchurch and RAF Suttons Farm' there are pictures of the wreckage of both L-32 and L-33.

In the picture of L-33 the frame is fairly intact, the nose is very clear. The wreckage of L-32 is very different, no clear structure.

L33 was indeed intact; despite many hits it came down without catching fire. Its design was copied in the British airships R33 and R34 (use of the same number 33 was coincidental).

The captain tried to persuade his men to steal a boat and cross the channel but they surrendered to a policeman on a bicycle - they were probably the largest group of enemy to land on UK soil in the twentieth century.

Adrian

I understand that a piece of the metal frame of the craft is actually hanging on the wall in the local church.

A further bit of trivia of no use to anyone except me that i will share with you all is that my mother was actually born the morning that the craft was brought down.

Family legend claims that the craft passed over my mum's house in Edmonton North London just before she was born, however the Cuffley Zep passed over a couple of days before and I think the years may have confused the two craft, however who knows,

regards,

scottie.