Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th EYR (Pioneers) and Royal Engineers attack Tepp

joseph

6th East Yorkshire Regiment and 67 Field Company Royal Engineers

The withdrawal from Scimitar Hill was difficult no moon and pitch dark, it was almost impossible to find a thing and took a long time to collect everything, assemble the battalion, and move off to Sulajik. The Turks continued there fire while they moved back and reached the position in the early hours the men falling asleep immediately.

Between 3 and 3.30 a.m. all Company Commanders were suddenly ordered to report to the Colonel. They were told that the 6th East Yorkshire Regiment, had received orders to seize the very high hill above Anafarta (Tekke Tepe) the West Ridings attacking another hill on the left (Kavak Tepe). As the orders had arrived late the battalion had to move off immediately. The Men in a state of exhaustion, thirsty and hungry had to be pulled out of their trenches.

Colonel HGA Moore started off with HQ and D companies when the three remaining companies assembled they found the CO had gone ahead. In crossing the open space between the trenches at Sulajik and the foot of the hill, little or no opposition was encountered. Two officers of the 67th Field Company Royal Engineers Major F.W. Brunner and Lt. V.Z. Ferranti accompanied Col. Moore Lt Ferranti was ordered to wait and follow up with the next company of East Yorkshires that came along. The group split into three parties C.O., Maj. Brunner and Lt Still, with one, Capt. Steel with another and Capt. Elliott with the third. As they reached the lower slopes of the hill north of Baka Baba the rifle fire from the snipers became more insistent. They carried on up Tekke Tepe the casualties becoming more serious Maj. Brunner was killed and many others shot down. The survivors, Col Moore and Lt Still leading reached the summit along with Capt Elliot Lt Rawstone and between 12 and 30 men.

This little party of East Yorkshiremen and Engineers achieved the brilliant feat of reaching a position farther east on the heights above Sulva Bay than any other troops.

Remembering the 6th EYR and Royal Engineers who never came down the hill.

Thank you for adding information and colour to what was for me, family history. Now I find it is history with a capital H. My grandfather was Lt. Still. I knew what he wrote about the assault of Tekke Tepe. Now I know more about what happened before and, more importantly, the state of the moon at that time - It must have been horrendous going up that sort of terrain with scrub and brush without any sort of light and feeling knackered and under fire. It doesn't bear thinking about. He was 35 years old. I'm a bit older but wouldn't want to try it in daylight, at peace!

And I'm in Turkey, it's August, it's night but it's still f'ing hot!

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Welcome to the forum,

There are two or three threads about the assault on Tekke tepe, the only information I have on him is he was born at Toxteth Park and joined the Special Reserve EYR in Manchester. Do you know what company he was in?

Regards Charles

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this Charles

I must read up more on this

One of my great uncles Edmund Carney re-enlisted into the 6th EYR and went wth it to Gallipoli (as you so very kindly informed me!!)

Just found this post in a 'search'

Caryl

Caryl,

Hope you are well, I have quite a bit on the 6th East Yorkshire regiment, but as yet no mention of Edmund or Fredrick. I do have one or two snippets which I will send if you want, a photo of William in the Drums 1896 and the Second Battalion Roll of 1904.

Regards Charles

Caryl,

Hope you are well, I have quite a bit on the 6th East Yorkshire regiment, but as yet no mention of Edmund or Fredrick. I do have one or two snippets which I will send if you want, a photo of William in the Drums 1896 and the Second Battalion Roll of 1904.

Regards Charles

Charles

Yes, better thanks

This is part of the Carney family article you sent me that mentions Edmund

Edmund Carney the eldest son, enlisted in 1891, after passing 18 yrs in the service was discharged to pension. During the Boer War he went on service with the 3rd Battalion. He recieved the Queen's medal with 3 Clasps. On the outbreak of World War One he re-enlisted into the 6th Battalion (Pioneers) and went with it to Gallipoli

I'll look into that more

Yes please I would love to see the other snippets. Don't really have a photo of William, apart from the one you sent me of him and the others in the 2nd Battalion Drum band at Aldershot 1903

You've given me so much already though, would really not expect anything else

Caryl

[