Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Flying Corps

Secondary Regiment: Hampshire Regiment

Secondary Unit Text: and 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/07/1917

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: IV. B. 9.

Cemetery: BULLY-GRENAY COMMUNAL CEMETERY, BRITISH EXTENSION

He attended King's School Peterborough & his name is on their memorial plaque in Peterborough Cathedral. ODGW has him also serving with the 8th Isle of Wight Rifles.

All The Best

Chris

London Gazette stuff :

LG 14-6-1916

Hampshire Regt.

Pte. Leonard William Brooks, from Inns of Court O.T.C., to be 2nd Lt. (on prob.).

8th June 1916.

----

LG 10-4-1917

Hampshire Regt.—2nd Lt. L. W. Brooks is seconded for duty with the R.F.C. 16th-Mar. 1917.

----

LG 11-4-1917

War Office,

11th April, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES.

ROYAL FLYING CORPS.

Mil. Wing.—The undermentioned appts. are made: —

Flying Officers.—

2nd Lt. (on prob.) L. W. Brooks, Hamps. R., T.F., and to be secd.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Steve

Many thanks have already added it to the transcription for the Roll of Honour site.

All The Best

Chris

Chris

2Lt L W Brooks (pilot, and formerly with the 4th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment) and Lt William Campbell (observer, from Perthshire, Scotland, and formerly with the Royal Field Artillery) were flying Armstrong Whitworth FK 8 A2726 on an Artillery Observation mission over Lievin when they were killed in action after combat with 6 enemy aircraft. A2726 came down near Cité-Calonne.

Leutnant Günther Pastor of Jasta 29 claimed a 'BE' west of Lens at 1425; this was probably A2726. It was Pastor's second and last victory; he was killed in Fokker Dr.I 121/17 of Jasta 1 over Moorslede on 31 October 1917.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Chris

2Lt L W Brooks (pilot, and formerly with the 4th Battalion, Hampshire Regiment) and Lt William Campbell (observer, from Perthshire, Scotland, and formerly with the Royal Field Artillery) were flying Armstrong Whitworth FK 8 A2726 on an Artillery Observation mission over Lievin when they were killed in action after combat with 6 enemy aircraft.  A2726 came down near Cité-Calonne.

Leutnant Günther Pastor of Jasta 29 claimed a 'BE' west of Lens at 1425; this was probably A2726.  It was Pastor's second and last victory; he was killed in Fokker Dr.I 121/17 of Jasta 1 over Moorslede on 31 October 1917.

I hope this is useful.

Gareth

Gareth

Many thanks for that - do you have any objections if I use that info on a Roll of Honour Web Page

All The Best

Chris

He was probably the Leonard William Brooks, born June quarter 1885 and registered in Peterborough.

This Leonard W Brooks was on the 1891 Census, aged 5, as Leonard W Brooks, at a Bakers Shop in Church Street, off the Market Place,now Cathedral Square, Peterborough. He was the son of John W Brooks (born Emneth, nr Wisbech, 1858), a baker, and Emma (born Birmingham, 1859).

He had two sisters, Winifred T (1884) and Edith M (1886)

He does not appear with the family on the 1901 Census.

(The position of the shop nowadays would be next to what is now Barclays Bank and opposite St John's Church, I believe)

Steve.

He was probably the Leonard William Brooks, born June quarter 1885 and registered in Peterborough.

This Leonard W Brooks was on the 1891 Census, aged 5, as Leonard W Brooks, at a Bakers Shop in Church Street, off the Market Place,now Cathedral Square, Peterborough. He was the son of John W Brooks (born Emneth, nr Wisbech, 1858), a baker, and Emma (born Birmingham, 1859).

He had two sisters, Winifred T (1884) and Edith M (1886)

He does not appear with the family on the 1901 Census.

(The position of the shop nowadays would be next to what is now Barclays Bank and opposite St John's Church, I believe)

Steve.

Stev

Brilliant - many thanks & thank for sparking off my memory see here http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/EmnethMemorial.html

the family are from my home village

All The Best

Chris

Many thanks for that - do you have any objections if I use that info on a Roll of Honour Web Page?

Chris

Go ahead, I'm pleased that it was useful.

Best wishes

Gareth

Three memorials to update!

Nice to see it confirms the connection, too.

I take it the Emneth Memorial was your first. A while back probably...

Wait a minute... Just dug out my books (Moving time...)

From David Gray's "No More Strangers", transcribed from a Roll of Honour and Peterborough Advertiser.

Leonard William Brooks, Avondale, Broadway. Lt. RAF, KIA 6-7-1917 at Arras, buried Bully Grenay.

and (deep breath):

Peterborough Advertiser 14-7-1917

Second Lieutenant Leonard William Brooks, Hampshire Regiment, attached to the RFC, elder son of Mr and Mrs J W Brooks of Church Street and Broadway, Peterborough, was killed in action last Friday in France. The bad news reached Peterborough on Tuesday in an official telegram from the War Office, and caused widespread sympathy with the bereaved parents and relatives of the deceased officer. Lt. Brooks, who was 32 years of age, was educated at Barton School, Wisbech and Kings School, Peterborough. On leaving school he was apprenticed to a leading London chef, and for a short period was with Messrs Spiers and Pond the well known refreshment caterers. Later he joined the White Star Line and in five or six weeks he was acting as a chef, he visited all parts of the world. A few years ago he started up for himself in the corn trade but twelve months after the outbreak of war he sold his business and joined the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps. Afterwards he was gazetted to the Hampshire Regiment which was stationed on the Isle of Wight, volunteering for aerial service, he went through a course of instruction at Reading and in due course gained his pilots certificate before proceeding to France in the first week of April. Lt Brooks flew over his native city on several occasions. His only brother, Thomas is in France, and also in the RFC. A curious coincidence occured a short time ago. Lt Brooks was using a telephone one day when his message was received by his younger brother who recognised his voice, and finding themselves only eight miles apart the brothers very soon had a reunion. In Lt Brooks Peterborough loses another of its gallant citizens and a young life full of promise. A courageous and gallant officer, he entered the most perilous of his country's arms, and there, worthily maintained the highest traditions of the Corps to which he belonged. His kindly disposition and generous nature were both treasured by many whose privilege itwas to count him their friend, and his name will be added to the already long roll of Peterborough Honoured Heroes who have paid the supreme sacrifice. On Thursday Mr Brooks received a letter from the Commander of the Air Squadron, Captain Reginald Cooper, dated 7th July in which he said: "I am sorry to tell you that your son was brought down yesterday, and both he and his observer, Lt W Campbell were killed. They were working with the artillery when they were attacked by hostile machines, and I will send the full particulars of the grave to the Graves Registration Commision. Your son is a great loss to us for he was doing exceedingly well, please accept my deepest sympathy."

Steve.

Steve great stuff - many thanks

All The Best

Chris

• 2 months later...

Photo of 2/Lt Brooks from the Hunts Standard:

post-6536-1129832208.jpg

Steve.

And with lines cleaned away (with all due reverence) :

post-6536-1129832380.jpg

Steve.

Steve

Great stuff - many thanks - can you e mail that to me please

Chris

E-mail in preparation with extra info on Brooks and Vergette.

Just need to do the scans.

I'll send the pics of Catling and Brooks and send the articles later.

Steve.

Steve many thanks

Chris