Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Timothy Lycett DSO, KRRC

Auimfo

Does anyone have any info on the above or even better a photo?

He was born in Stafford where my family also originates and most likely there is a link somewhere but as yet I'm not sure where. It also seems he was a Regimental Sgt Major before being commissioned.

He was awarded the DSO and the London Gazette listing is below. His CWGC record shows the following info:

Name: LYCETT, TIMOTHY

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/10/1918

Awards: DSO

Additional information: Husband of Bessie Lycett, of Hopwas, Tamworth, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 18.

Cemetery: HOUCHIN BRITISH CEMETERY

Thanks

Tim L.

post-2918-1123591883.jpg

Do you have his other Gazette details?

LG 7-3-1917 : KRRC - 2nd Lt. T. Lycett to be temp. Capt. 28 Dec. 1916.

LG 30-3-1917 : KRRC - 2nd Lt. T. Lycett (since promd. temp. Capt.) to be Adjt. and temp. Lt. 25 Aug. 1916 to 28 Dec. 1916, and to remain Adjt., vice Capt. T. Maple.

LG 18-12-1918 : KRRC - Temp. Capt. C. E. Scott to be Adjt., vice,

temp. Capt. T. Lycett, D.S.O. (Lt., K.R. Rif. C.). 6 Oct. 1918.

The date of the last is a day after his death...

Steve.

Thanks guys,

Steve, I had seen two of those entries but not the last one, thanks.

Bob, I hadn't got around to trying to find out what happened to him but you've given me a start. I'll have to look into what the KRRC was doing in the days preceding his death.

Tim L.

Does anyone have any info on the above or even better a photo?  Obviously it's of interest to me as he happens to carry the same name as me.

He was born in Stafford where my family also originates and most likely there is a link somewhere but as yet I'm not sure where.  It also seems he was a Regimental Sgt Major before being commissioned. 

He was awarded the DSO and the London Gazette listing is below.  His CWGC record shows the following info:

Name: LYCETT, TIMOTHY

Initials: T

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Unit Text: 12th Bn.

Date of Death: 05/10/1918

Awards: DSO

Additional information: Husband of Bessie Lycett, of Hopwas, Tamworth, Staffs.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. C. 18.

Cemetery: HOUCHIN BRITISH CEMETERY   

Thanks

Tim L.

Tim

I think you need to find someone with a copy of the "King's Royal Rifle Corps Chronicle" for 1918.

I have the individual "KRRC Chronicles" covering the years of WW2. They have a brief biog. - and photo - of officers of the 60th Rifles who died in the year in question.

I assume that this would also have been the case in WW1?

• 12 years later...

Not expecting you to see this, responding 13 years later but worth a shot. Capt. Timothy Lycett DSO is a relative of mine, and we have recently been doing some research upon the matter. Did you find anything useful/ a relation? We have dug up some fairly interesting information!

Hi ggeorgegg,

Yep, I'm still here and have been since 2004 :lol:.

It's been a while since I was taking a look at Timothy Lycett but really didn't get too much further.  Anything you can add by way of information, family history, stories, photos etc. would be greatly appreciated.  

I'm not absolutely sure that we're related but it's possible as my family originated from around that area before coming to Australia just after 1900.   But mainly it's because we share the same name that I'm interested to learn more about his life.

Cheers,

Tim L.

Edited by Auimfo

• 3 years later...

A few years ago I bought an old military box at an auction.  On it are Tim Lycett's name and KRRC also on top is a shipping label from South Africa.  Inside were the 3 phots.  Wether they are Tim or not I cant guarantee but I think they probably are.  On the faded porttrait frame are the name of the photographer and Victoria Rd, Tamworth.  I hope these are useful pics.

2077515949_TimLycett.jpeg.9af45f2bc98063003c8528b64fc5810e.jpeg

20211024_100701_resized.jpg

20211024_100724_resized.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave Marsh said:

A few years ago I bought an old military box at an auction.  On it are Tim Lycett's name and KRRC also on top is a shipping label from South Africa.  Inside were the 3 phots.  Wether they are Tim or not I cant guarantee but I think they probably are.  On the faded porttrait frame are the name of the photographer and Victoria Rd, Tamworth.  I hope these are useful pics.

2077515949_TimLycett.jpeg.9af45f2bc98063003c8528b64fc5810e.jpeg

20211024_100701_resized.jpg

20211024_100724_resized.jpg

I have found on the reverse of the studio portrait Lt Lycett.  It is not clear in the scan but can be seen with the sun on it as it in pencil.  It is in the top left written  from bottom to top.

TL.jpeg