Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Charles Richard Dormer MM Royal Engineers

Max Poilu

I recently requested a trench map for an elderly friend to complete part of his family's history story - many thanks to Dave (Croonaert) for supplying it.

The gentleman sent me some short notes of his father's service and wondered if he could be told where his father is likely to have served in F&F or any other interesting information. I would be most grateful if any Pals could help.

His name was Charles Richard Dormer and I belive he was posted to France in 1918. These are the details I have been given:

Enlisted into the 3rd County of London Yeomanry number 3053 (11/12/15)

Relegated to Army reserve (12/12/15)

Mobilized and joined for duty (20/03/17)

Posted 2/3 County of London Yeomanry (21/03/17)

Transferred to Royal Fusiliers number G/81240 (06/10/17)

Posted 23rd Battalion Royal Fusiliers (12/10/17)

Posted to Depot (04/03/18)

Attached to Depot Field Survey Company (08/03/18)

Transferred to Royal Engineers number 362914 (25/04/18)

Posted to 5th Field Survey Company (23/11/18)

Appointed Lance Corporal

Demobilized (20/02/19)

Military Medal Gazetted (23/07/19)

Many thanks if you can help. :)

Just bumping this up in case anyone can help - just where he is likely to have served or even the smallest piece of info would be great! :)

Giles

Depot FSC was formed at the beginning of April 1917 to coordinate and supervise recruitment and training for the Field Survey Companies, involved in Sound Ranging and Flash Spotting. In July 1918 it became the Depot Field Survey Battalion. Initially it was located at Montreuil, but moved to Campignelles-les-Grandes in the winter of 1917/18. I have information about 5FSC during the period your man was serving with them, however there is to much to post here. If you e-mail me your address, I'll photocopy it and send it on.

Terry Reeves

Graham Stewart's replies here might help:

It was the Field Survey Companies job to pinpoint enemy trenches, dugouts, artillery, machine-gun posts, etc. to be destroyed by artillery barrages.

For example, at Cambrai there was no prior "registration" of targets by the artillery that would have told the Germans an attack was imminent. Instead, the Field Survey companies and aircraft observation pinpointed the artillery targets and the artillery bombardment began at Zero hour, rather than days before.

Hope this helps,

Steve.

Sorry, Terry.

Like buses, Giles waited days for a post, then two come along at once!

Steve.