Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Award of DCM to a French pilot

MikeW

Does anyone know if there is a source for citations where the Distinguished Conduct Medal was awarded to foreign pilots? I have a French pilot awarded the DCM and wand to pin down the date and the action that led to the award being made.

Obviously the London Gazette is a no-no in this case.

British decorations to foreign army personnel were notified in War Office lists that were similar in appearance to the London Gazette. I have most of these and would happy to see if I can find your man is you give me his name. There are no citations, only lists of names, ranks and units. Dick Flory

British decorations to foreign army personnel were notified in War Office lists that were similar in appearance to the London Gazette. I have most of these and would happy to see if I can find your man is you give me his name. There are no citations, only lists of names, ranks and units. Dick Flory

Thank you rflory,

the man in question is Quartre-Maitre Henri Le Garrec of the French Navy. he was based at St. Pol and flew land based scouts (as opposed to floatplane scouts) for the Centre of Maritime Aviation at Dunkerque - he must have been awarded the medal between February and Beginning of September 1917 as he was shot down and killed on the 3rd September.

I believe he single handedly came to the rescue of some RNAS pilots and drove off their attackers, can't pin down a date or any more exact details though.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike: Unfortunately I only have the War Office lists and not the Admiralty lists. Regards. Dick Flory