Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PRIVATE 12768 MEMOIR OF A TOMMY

Soren

I know this is lazy Soren , me old mate :) but check this link John Jackson Book.

Enjoyed the book very much, quite a story and turned out he was a Carlisle bloke to boot B) . Sounds like you got yourself a bargain there.

• 3 months later...

This was a very informative read. I was interested in the information on the 1st Cameron Highlanders. My Great Uncle William McGuire was killed on the 23/7/1916 on the Somme while serving with this Battalion. It seems that John Jackson and followed similar paths. William first joined the 6th Battalion before transfering to the 1st. This book gave me a good insight in to life at the front.

Owen

This was a very informative read. I was interested in the information on the 1st Cameron Highlanders. My Great Uncle William McGuire was killed on the 23/7/1916 on the Somme while serving with this Battalion. It seems that John Jackson and followed similar paths. William first joined the 6th Battalion before transfering to the 1st. This book gave me a good insight in to life at the front.

Owen

Quite amazing how joining the 1st Battalion made men feel they were almost "regulars", even if they were volunteers, Owen. Shows the core of the British Regimental system as a fine method to inspire British soldiers.