Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

More Common Than I Expected Cause Of Death

Will O'Brien

Calling any Military Medical Experts out there - During my research on various local casualties, I have noted that an unexpected number had passed away due to contracting Cerbrospinal Meningitis. (I'm not really sure what having this condition involves)The majority of these deaths happened in the UK during training prior to units being assigned overseas rather than with 'active' units. Another curious fact is that this seemed to effect some of the fittest & strongest soldiers (as an example of those I have conducted research on who died of Cerbrospinal Meningitis one was a semi professional Footballer & I have another who was a International Weightlifter). Does anyone have any ideas on the following

1. Was Cerbrospinal Meningitis as common an ailment during the Great War as it appears to be through my research.

2. Is there any significance that the majority of those who contracted it were UK based.

3. Is there any significance to the fact that it appears that the fittest & physically strongest soldiers seemed to come down with it.

Will

One of my former King's College Chapel choristers died of septic meningitis, which I assume is a variant of the usual cerebro-spinal kind.

He was 19 year old Lt Richard Bryant, 7th Suffolks attached 35th TMB / RGA, who is buried at Etaples, so would most likely have contracted it while on active service in France.

Will.

I don't know whether its of any use to you, but I have details of 110 deaths in the US Navy due to meningitis 1917/18.

Dave.

If meningococcal meningitis is the same thing, which it probably is since the meninges are part of the brain, it is still around, and is very dangerous. You can die within 24 hours, particularly if you are young- teens and twenties - and apparently healthy!

It is a flu-like disease, symptoms stiff neck, muscular aches, and development of spots. It may be spread by sharing of food, drinks etc, but no-one really seems to know.

New Zealand has been having an epidemic of meningococcal meningitis over the last few years, and it gets worse in winter.

Just last week we had a young woman die, after developing a stiff neck at work. Her employer sent her to the local city hospital, where she waited for over 3 hours, developing the other symptoms, but was not attended to because of a flood of patients, so her sister took her to a nearby medical centre, where she was examined, told to take a panadol, and sent home

to rest. She was dead by lunchtime next day;

Big enquiry ensuing!

Guest stevebec

Of the over twenty thousand members of the Australian Light Horse I've checked so far over 30 men are listed as died of Meningitis.

These men died in Egypt, UK, Mesipotaina and Australia.

The main cause of deaths by illness were pneumonia either Malarial or influenza.

These come at all dates from 1914 to 1920.

S.B

Kate, Dave, Christine, Steve

Many thanks for all your replys

Dave - Any info you have would be great.

Christine - All the deaths I have noted have been very quick (24-86 hours) after first signs of the illness becoming apparent (thats if Newspaper reports correct). This marrys up very nicely with what you have advised. For one of my men there was surgery involved to try & save his life (I'm unsure whether surgery involved in Meningociccal Meningitis) I only know about the surgery because there was a big rumpus locally (big as in made it into the local newspaper). The rumpus related to the soldier (Private Antliff Burton - 2nd/1st Queens Oxfordshire Hussars) dieing whilst under anaesthetic & that there had been delays in a Doctor examining him. The delay was due to an admin cock up with another patient of the same surname. Final decision from the Military Coroner was that due to nature of the illness the delay only shortened his life by a few hours. So it sounds as if this strain is similar in its nastiness to the Meningociccal strain. As an interesting footnote the Coroner refused to confirm that the anaesthetic given had accelrated death but didn't discount it either.

Kate & Steve - I guess there no real significance to my deaths being UK based as you have noted non UK deaths. Given what Christine advised regarding possible causes perhaps it was Army life that promoted such illnesses - I guess a great deal of sharing occurred amongst soldiers & living in unhygenic & cramped conditions couldn't have helped.

Many thanks again

Will

Guest stevebec

If you want to check AIF records you can do it free by checking the Australian National Archives webb site.

IF you check the names Alexander Heaslop 2645 died Egypt and Robert Francis Williams 1393 died Australia both in the Camel Corps.

You will find details on there deaths by Meningitis.

Good luck

S.B

Attached photo is the grave of Robert Williams in Fremantle Cemetery WA.

He is one of the Fremantle soldiers from WW1 that I'm researching.

Cheers

Andrew

post-3-1058761882.jpg

Although it's not related to the Great War I noticed on Andrew P's photo that the man who died in 1969 was listed as late of the 2/4th MG Bn. The 2/4th recruited from W.A. and were captured at Singapore in 1941. I wonder if the reference implies that he never fully recovered from his time as a P-o-W and it contributed to his relatively early death.

Adam

One of my former King's College Chapel choristers died of septic meningitis, which I assume is a variant of the usual cerebro-spinal kind.

Kate: Septic meningitis goes under the modern day guise of septicemia (blood poisoning).

The name in front of meningitis is often given to the bacteria or virus causing it. ie Streptococcal B menigitis is caused by the Streptococcal B bacteria.

I believe Cebrospinal meningitis is the broad name for menigitis ie it affects the brain and spine.

Don't forget today meningitis can be cured by large doses of antibiotics which were not available then.

Also the symptoms are not always the classic ones. (Classic symptoms being stiff neck, fits,high temperature, rash) There may only be one or two a rash will only appear for septicimia.

Will: The anaesthetic could have contributed to death as I believe it inpairs breathing. Quite what they were operating on I'm not sure but wonder if they were trying to keep him sedated to stop him fitting or trying to relieve the swelling in the brain.

I am not medically trained but meningitis always upsets me. Two of my children suffered and happily survived Mengicoccal B Septicimia and Strepticoccal B meningitis. They were aged 2 and my son was just one day old at the time and are now 9 and nearly 7.

Sorry for rambling and wandering off topic.

Hope at least some of this helps.

Regards

Ali.

:D

Many thanks for the additional info.

Ali - Your comments regarding the anaesthetic have made me look at my research notes again & I hold my hands up. Because Private Burton was put under anaesthetic I assumed there was surgery involved. I've also done a bit more digging in some medical journals & can't find any reference to this strain being treated by surgery. That would make your suggestion that anaesthetic was administered to try to stop fitting or relieve swelling the only reasonable conclusion left - Many thanks again

Will

Ali,

Many thanks for your explanation of Bryant's demise, which I shall put straight into my file.

Sounds as though you are quite an expert on this. Good to know your children are thriving after their brush with this dreaded disease.

Although it's not related to the Great War I noticed on Andrew P's photo that the man who died in 1969 was listed as late of the 2/4th MG Bn. The 2/4th recruited from W.A. and were captured at Singapore in 1941. I wonder if the reference implies that he never fully recovered from his time as a P-o-W and it contributed to his relatively early death.

Adam

Hi Adam

Many Prisoner's of the Japanese had their lives cut very short. Even those men fortunate to make it home had health deficiencies of many kinds stemming from Cholera, Malaria, Beri Beri, Typhoid, Meningitis etc etc, which would lead to many health problems & deaths at an earlier time than normal.

But then again I know a few ex-prisoners who are well into their 80's and still going strong.

Regards

Andrew

Many Prisoner's of the Japanese had their lives cut very short. Even those men fortunate to make it home had health deficiencies of many kinds stemming from Cholera, Malaria, Beri Beri, Typhoid, Meningitis etc etc, which would lead to many health problems & deaths at an earlier time than normal.

Not to mention health problems causes by prolonged and chronic malnutrition combined with forced labour. :(

Garth