Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

CROONAERT

Not being too "well up" on shoulder titles, can anyone confirm or otherwise that this is the title worn by the Loyals 1914 -18?

Dave.

post-8-1058654616.jpg

Just seen a photo (dated 1908) of a group of Loyals. The badge looks very like this one (not 100% certain, though!). The above question still stands - is it 14-18?

Dave.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Dave,

I am going to stick my neck out here because I don't have Ray Westlake's book!

The piccies I have of LNL men are not too clear with respect to shoulder title but they look shorter in terms of letters, perhaps 14-18 period was 'LNLANCS'.

Ian

I do have Ray's Westlake's book 2nd Edition. It says:

"The following patterns have been recorded: L. N. LANCS; N. LANCS; NLANC; N.LANC, all of which have been positively identified. NLANCASHIRE was being worn by 1907 and was replaced in 1920 by LOYALS".

The illustration looks very similar except the lugs on Ray's example appear to be attached to the back of the "L" and the "R", which doesn't quite match your example, Dave.

I am no expert in this area, just passing on what it says in the book, and reporting my observations!!! :unsure:

Dave,

The title's an exact match of the one worn by my grandfather, Ashworth Lord, who transferred from the East Lancs to the Loyals in 1916 and served with them throughout the remainder of the war.

Andrew