Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert advice needed.

stu

Can anyone please help me,I shall be making a short stop in Albert on Wednesday,can anyone please advise me where is best to park and recommend some nice resonably priced restaurants.

Many thanks.

Stu

Try the parking by the town hall, if there is full you could 'chance' it at the railway station,otherwise park at the Intermarche and walk back to town, as for eating, make some sandwiches before you go to avoid dissapointment ??????????

Hwyl

Kevin

The Atac supermarket has a huge free car park outside and is only a five minute walk from the Basilica.

Come to think of it, this may even be the same car park referred to above (i.e. town hall) :blink:

MacDonalds?

Regards,

Marco

How dare you, sir. Take it back! :(

But, in reply to stu,

I have parked in Albert for lunch and found the station car park fairly empty and free at that time of day. IIRC though, we did not find a particularly good place to eat, but we were on a very tight timetable, so more or less headed into the first place we found.

ALBERT

Park at the station and eat at Grand Hotel de la Paix, where they also sell maps and books. Highly recommended.

Fred

Go to La Boiselle first, eat at Le Poppy and THEN go to Albert.

Packed French eatery, circa 12 euros for lunch, and really good.

Martin

ALBERT

Park at the station and eat at Grand Hotel de la Paix, where they also sell maps and books. Highly recommended.

Fred

I may have mentioned wrong hotel, my information was second hand but it was that one of the hotels, think there are 2, across from church is good.

Royal Picardie restaurant is quite good and I've eaten there a lot but not in town, klick or 2 away.

Do remember it is August, which is French holidays. Many bars, cafes and restaurants - and other shops - close for most or all of August. Off hand I don't know if the De la Paix or Basilique restaurants are closed, but they might be. Either of them does an excellent lunchtime meal; the fact that they are often full should speak volumes. The Le Poppy mentioned above is closed; I passed it today and saw the signs.

Also - do NOT try and park in the square near the Town Hall: there is a fun-fair there are the moment and parking is VERY limited. I would go and park at the railway station and walk up.

If you lust want a snack then a couple of the cafes do toasted cheese sandwiches called 'croque monsieur'.

Finally do remember that many shops, even if not closed for the month, will close between 1200-1400 or 1230-1430.

Have a great day!

Many thanks to you all for your replies.

It would seem we might be better off trying somewhere else for lunch,if someone could recommend somewhere I would be grateful,we will be coming to Albert from the direction of Bapaume,then working our way back in the direction of Arras taking in Thiepval,Beaumont-Hamel,Serre and Gommecourt etc.

Many thanks.

Stu

It would seem we might be better off trying somewhere else for lunch,if someone could recommend somewhere I would be grateful,

Why don't you try Avril's at Auchonvillers, though you might have to book it being August.

Martin

we will be coming to Albert from the direction of Bapaume,then working our way back in the direction of Arras

There is a McDonalds in Arras as well! :D

Regards,

Marco

I agree with Paul, we always support the locals including B&B and eating. There are a couple of superb places to eat in Bapaume and tommies bar is a huge favourite of ours! His chips are best around. If you want to diet try eating in Albert!!

Tony

You could always try Dominique's place, Le Tommy, at Pozieres. He does a variety of English and French dishes, and as you are visiting France, I always think it nice to support the locals:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/le_tommy.htm

I quite agree with Paul about Tommy's. Perhaps it slipped my mind because when I was on the Somme for a week in the spring I found Tommy's open about twice!

To be fair, I think Dominique was a bit knackered after a combination of St George's and Anzac (?surely not but something similar) days.

Martin

Many thanks to everyone for your advice.

We only went for the day(400 mile round trip!!),and as my wife has certain dietry requirements we opted to take our own food thanks to M+S.

Not having visited the Somme before I was impressed by its beauty and tranquility,its hard to imagine what it must have been like 89 years ago.

Unfortunately,because it was such a short trip we didn't get to see all we wanted,so I will definately be going back as soon as possible.

We did get to visit the Tunnels museum at Albert,Theipval Memorial,Serre and Beaumont Hamel(but not the Newfoundland Memorial park) and regretably Le Tommy was closed,as was most of France.

Stu

We did get to visit the Tunnels museum at Albert,Theipval Memorial,Serre and Beaumont Hamel(but not the Newfoundland Memorial park) and regretably Le Tommy was closed,as was most of France.

Stu

Glad you had a good trip and it has inspired you to come and see more; I did warn you about August! Le Tommy has been closed indeed this week as Dominique has been using the good weather to take some time to build a new entrance to the cafe.

You could always try Dominique's place, Le Tommy, at Pozieres. He does a variety of English and French dishes, and as you are visiting France, I always think it nice to support the locals:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/le_tommy.htm

The last 3 times I have taken people to this place he has been closed with no explanation!!!

Patrick

For anyone else looking for somewhere 'proper' to eat near Albert (i.e. definitely NOT MacDonalds!) the Auberge at Authuille is superb. Definitely the best food I've had on the Somme though you will need to book as it seems to get very busy. Damned good wine list too so get someone else to drive B)