Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Maps

jonathon

The royal artillery used1/20000 refence maps to pinpoint their battery fire,I assume therefore that pilots would carry a similar map so that they knew where to strafe.My father was shot down in the Ypres area I know the map reference was V25AO4(sh:20) as reported intheSquadron combat records for no 32squadron. How to find that location would be a great help. Anyone????

My father was shot down in the Ypres area I know the map reference was  V25AO4(sh:20) as reported intheSquadron combat records for no 32squadron. How to find that location would be a great help. Anyone????

It's 3/4 of a mile South West of the centre of Poelkapelle on the Ypres-Poelkapelle road.

Dave.

It's 3/4 of a mile South West of the centre of Poelkapelle on the Ypres-Poelkapelle road.

The green dot shows the exact location of the reference you give.

Dave.

post-357-1123372400.jpg

The green dot shows the exact location of the reference you give.

And here's the same location (green dot/cross type thing) shown on a modern map of the area.

Dave.

post-357-1123372881.jpg

And here's the same location (green dot/cross type thing) shown on a modern map of the area.

Dave.

Dave That was incredible and thanks very much,the green spot was right on the edge of the trench map,have you any detail SW of that point?The crash site seems to be in the middle of trenches and red crosses I suppose its stretching the point as to whether or at what stage who occupied what trenches from dim recollections I beleive he was rescued by friendly troops as he landed between the lines,however absolutely fascinating and you have been a great help. Jonathon

,the green spot was right on the edge of the trench map,have you any detail SW of that point?...

...The crash site seems to be in the middle of trenches and red crosses I suppose its stretching the point as to whether or at what stage  who occupied what trenches from dim recollections I beleive he was rescued by friendly troops as he landed between the lines,

Here's an extract from the map immediately to the west.

From your other post, i gather he crashed in November 1917? At this time, he would definately have been rescued by "friendlies" as he crashed approx. 1 mile behind the British front lines in "friendly" territory. (the two maps are both September 1917).

Dave.

(PS. The red crosses are barbed wire entanglements)

post-357-1123628060.jpg