Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Red Cross Wounded and Missing Files

jim_davies

The Aussie Red Cross Wounded and Missing Enquiry Files are available online. I'm assuming the British Red Cross carried out similar duties during the war, are their files relating to this work still in existence and if so are they available.

Thanks,

Jim

Not the actual files but enquires into names of the wounded and missing. These names are listed under their Regiments & Corps and is available in the following book:

The British Red Cross and Order of St. John Enquiry List 1917 ISBN 1 871167 11 6, was republished in 1989 by Sunset Militaria in conjunction with Ray Westlake - Military Books.

This Enquiry List No. 14, 1917 Wounded and Missing, contains all enquiries up to July 20th, 1917 and includes the Australian & Canadian Branches.

This book has been recently reprinted by 'Naval & Military Press'

Alan Seymour

Just a note to add to this - this list mentioned above is just one of numerous lists published during the war, and only includes those posted as missing at the time the list was published; thus those from an earlier period are not shown. It is therefore of limited use in a wider scope.

The correspondance you refer to above does not seem to have been preserved by the War Office/MOD (it may have been lost in WW2); but second copies may be held by the Red Cross in Switzerland; but I understand they no longer answer enquiries, sadly. Why I don't know.

Alan and Paul,

Thank you for your replies. Its a shame that the files are either lost/unavailable I'm sure they would be a great resource.

Thanks again.

Jim

Dear Jim,

Further to what Paul and Alan said, I did contact the British Red Cross directly and talked to a very helpful young lady. Although she did not think the records still existed, as Paul and Alan noted, she did have a look for me with no results. I remember asking Paul if the 1917 book would be of any use to looking up the missing of 1916, but as he and Alan said, it really is of limited use, so I didn't buy it.

Not much help, I'm afraid, and it does seem a shame. Since Robert Stark was a member of the St. John Ambulance Brigade prior to the War, I also contacted them and even visited them at their headquarters at St. John's Gate, but again came up empty-handed.

Wish I could give you better information.

Cynthia

Dear Cynthia,

Thanks for your information,it certainly appears that the files if not destroyed are out of reach.

I appreciate you letting me know that you've tried the British Red Cross directly, as they were next on my list.

Right down I'm at a dead end with two great uncles' war service. Both were KIA and one was definity reported missing prior to being confirmed dead.

I'm just trying to think outside the box and find any additional information. (Not achieving too much, though).

Jim

Dear Jim,

This may be a long shot, and perhaps you have already done this, but I got some good information about Robert Stark (mainly, what he did in civvy life and where he worked) from his local newspaper. His parents put a notice in after he was declared missing and gave information that he was 'well known' in the district because of his job.

The church Parish magazines also gave a little information, so if you have not tried that route, you may find some information there. I presume that the Army records at the PRO did not materialise. I can only say that I feel very lucky that Robert's did survive, although his brother Sydney's did not. It really seemed to be the luck of the draw (or bomb!) as to which records made it through the Blitz and which didn't.

Good luck, and hope you find more information.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

Thanks for the ideas.

At the moment I have not tried the local newspaper, but its on my list when I head home.

The parish magazine is a great idea and something I hadn't considered. Not sure where I'd find them, but the two parishs involved both have websites, so I'll contact them and see what they can provide.

With regard to the PRO records, one survived and one did not. Whereas I can't seem to get even a MIC for my g-granddad who survived (?).

Another source of info I found useful was the local memorial book. One of my g-g-uncles had a brief bio and photo. The other unfortunately was only mentioned in passing.

All the best,

Jim